• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Setting Expectations?

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On the subject of real-life Elio driving: Last night I was driving down a gravel road, dodging potholes, and it suddenly occurred to me that it will be more difficult to dodge said potholes in an Elio due to the tricycle configuration. Am I wrong?
I personally think you are 100% right. If you straddle something with the front wheels (lets say its road debri that looks like it could hurt the tires), we are use to it missing all 4 tires. Now there is a good chance the rear could run over it.

So like anything new, will take a bit of getting use too, over a standard vehicle.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
And it's not like the front wheels are each 6' away from the body, they are fairly close in.
If you have had the chance to sit in the P3 or the P4 you know what I mean; they are only 18" out on each side so you'll have a good idea where they are tracking.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Your best strategy (assuming it's safe to do so) is probably to try steering the closest outrigger wheel away so that you miss the road hazard completely on the outside, rather than trying to straddle the hazard between the two front wheels. Since the Elio is much narrower than a standard vehicle, this approach may work better than going over the hazard.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Your best strategy (assuming it's safe to do so) is probably to try steering the closest outrigger wheel away so that you miss the road hazard completely on the outside, rather than trying to straddle the hazard between the two front wheels. Since the Elio is much narrower than a standard vehicle, this approach may work better than going over the hazard.
It's not "that" narrow, it is a 66" front track so about the same as any small car (up to a mid-size depending on make)
3.5" less then a Caddy CTX

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

How do you define the closest wheel?
They are both roughly equidistant from the driver.

Outrigger : noun : a framework extended outboard from the side of a boat, especially, as in South Pacific canoes, supporting a float that gives stability.

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Outrigger : noun : a framework extended outboard from the side of a boat, especially, as in South Pacific canoes, supporting a float that gives stability.
I think the left front wheel is further away (from the driver) in the Elio than in a four wheeler (spit!) ? If so it might make obstacles at the apex of left turns tricky at first.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I figured "closest wheel" referred to the wheel on the side of the car that was closest to the road hazard.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So it would seem that we will need to develop some new driving strategies or skills to deal with road hazards in a three wheeled world. Not sure which of us will be impacted the most. Those of us in rural areas or those in more urban areas.

Top Bottom