• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Self Driving Car?

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Google unveils first real prototype of its self-driving car"

Just saw this,, wow, I have enough trouble with someone else driving! How bout everyone else ? we all like "something a little different" so how would this play out as an Elio option ?
I'll start, not only do I want to shift my own gears when I want, but I will insist on doing the steering as well.

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I think it'll remain prohibitively expensive for the near future, on a car like the Elio anyway. But I suspect in a couple decades this kind of technology would be fairly common and I've no problem with it at all.

It'd be nice sometimes to relax a bit and not worry about driving during those long solo trips. But I think for the most part I'd rather drive myself anyway, if for no other reason than I enjoy it.

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like to drive, and that includes stirring my own gears. With that said, I can see the practical side too. There will come a day that I won't be able to drive, and this would allow me to keep my mobility. (Heck, I want it NOW for my idon'tliketodrive mother in law!) Matt Inman (The Oatmeal) mentions the handicapped, for one thing. I'm not opposed to it, I'm just not ready to give up the pleasure I get from driving myself yet. :-)

Inman's blog: http://theoatmeal.com/blog/google_self_driving_car

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Who is responsible when it crashes? It will crash as sure as the sun rises. No one will insure it, so it will not happen until the responsibility issues are worked out.
Who wouldn't insure it? There's a gecko, a talking pig, and the worst, Flo, who all advertise motorcycle insurance, and this is the safest motorcycle on the planet not to mention a third of the price to replace than the cheapest Honda or Harley, and keep in mind they only insure the vehicle, not the loose nut behind the wheel

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ross, I think he's referring to a self driving car of any type.
I am not opposed to it , I can see some real benifits, just think it may be the current generations version of the flingcars of the Mech Illistrated in the 50s and 60s. Not quite ready for prime time. I don't really trust hi-tech , I have made a living fixin the hi tech stuff over the last 25 or so years. It works really well,,, untill it dosen't.

Way too expensive for Elio , but then the Skyz thinggy for the dash is too :)

Oh, and Merry Christmas !!!!

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My bad, I came in late in the conversation. I miss low tech, I, like many on this site, grew up with rotary dial telephones, on a party line, and now my co-workers have on their thumbs on their I-phones all day long. I really like electronic fuel injection, but I miss tuning a carb, changing plugs and adjusting points. Just because I've lived long enough to enter the computer age doesn't mean I have to like it.

Puna bob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Seems to me this technology is already available in a limited sense, It's called the taxi, bus or train
I don't get behind the wheel of a car to look out the window, I want complete control.
Otherwise I'll be a passenger and someone else can drive. (I make a lousy passenger always tense)

Top Bottom