• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Safety : More Driver-side Impacts

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's my other take on this issue- I've seen motorcycle accident in the freeway and I Tell ya, it's not pretty! And I'm always weary( and if you're not, you should be) when I'm driving because motorcycles are hard to see (unless it's a Harley where you can hear it coming!) specially when changing lanes in a busy freeway. Here's my point- if we can have MORE of this motorcycle riders "convert" to Elio drivers (and from a lot of posters here who ride motorcycles and enthusiastic of owning an Elio), it'll be so much safer for them and other drivers. Now don't get me wrong, I like motorcycles even though I never owned one and almost bought a Can Am now that I'm retired until I found the Elio! But we all know there's just no room for error on a 2 wheeler! Now why will I compromise my life or limbs for a 2 wheeler if I can have 3! Elio is unique that it's the only "3 wheeler car" that hopefully will be allowed to legally fill our streets and freeways so the crash test rating should be based on "other" ENCLOSED 3 wheelers currently out there, if they can find one! Otherwise, it's stupid to generalize and compare crash test results on the Elio vs a TRUCK!!!;)

Last edited:

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a current motorcyclist, the anticipated crash rating isn't nearly as important to me or other motorcyclists as it is for the hordes of folks who aren't motorcyclists. I believe the majority of early adopters will be current or former motorcyclists. The average cager will come on board later, probably soon after viewing an Elio in person someplace.

Last edited:

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really wonder why anyone would be concerned with the side impact rating, its a motorcycle, think about it!
Personally though I have ridden motorcycles do not consider the Elio a bike.. It doesn't look or drive like one and if this machine is to be successful it must be treated like a unique small car which it really is.. Granted the Elio should be much safer than any motorcycle but to make it a success story it needs to be accepted by all not just those who have ridden bikes.. I commute to a crazy city daily and want to live to talk about it so it is important to me and I will venture to say many others considering this "autocycle".. Elio has the right idea so let's back them up on their endeavor..

Ray

bird

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm on my 4 motorcycle since I was 16 years old and have one now. When I get my Elio I will be a former cycle owner. Or before. Too many crazies out there. And I am telling everyone I know about it. Now, if I can convince my riding buddies to get an Elio also, we might go to club meetings somewhere. Still trying to convince my wife riding in the backseat won't be so bad.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm on my 4 motorcycle since I was 16 years old and have one now. When I get my Elio I will be a former cycle owner. Or before. Too many crazies out there. And I am telling everyone I know about it. Now, if I can convince my riding buddies to get an Elio also, we might go to club meetings somewhere. Still trying to convince my wife riding in the backseat won't be so bad.
Way to go man! I know it won't replace the open "feel" of riding your motorcycle so use it as a back up or just roll down the windows on your Elio and relax!!!:cool:

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Way to go man! I know it won't replace the open "feel" of riding your motorcycle so use it as a back up or just roll down the windows on your Elio and relax!!!:cool:
I'm hoping for a removable roof panel. Windows down and roof panel off should get plenty of air through the cockpit. :)

Jerry Greif

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Personally though I have ridden motorcycles do not consider the Elio a bike.. It doesn't look or drive like one and if this machine is to be successful it must be treated like a unique small car which it really is.. Granted the Elio should be much safer than any motorcycle but to make it a success story it needs to be accepted by all not just those who have ridden bikes.. I commute to a crazy city daily and want to live to talk about it so it is important to me and I will venture to say many others considering this "autocycle".. Elio has the right idea so let's back them up on their endeavor..

Ray
I think the Elio will be just as much fun as a motorcycle with some of the benefits of a car (you don't get wet in the rain) and I would agree with you that is for the most part is not a motorcycle but with all of the benefits that come with the Elio I am willing to accept that fact that it will most likely not come out of any kind of crash as good as a car will. No matter what I'm sure that everyone that gets an Elio will enjoy it. Hopefully with the bright colors the Elio will be real visible on the road and help keep all of us safe. You know that people will see an Elio go by and they will say "It's a car, no it's a motorcycle NO its an ELIO. Ok enough of the Superman jokes.

Wingnut

Reaction score
I have driven a smart car over 220,000 miles in all kinds of weather , I think the Elio will be great a lot more stable than a smart for two in all conditions. With more than twice the mpg, and I am sure the radio will work a lot better than in the smart

Top Bottom