• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Raleigh, Nc; Dec 12, 2014 - Dec 14, 2014

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Jim, I hope you did not take that comment the wrong way as it was not meant as commentary on the aesthetics at all, which is why I acknowledged the design was off-putting to some people, but instead directed at concerns over safety and usability people have expressed. :)
G1, I am pretty "thick-skinned" and not easily offended. I did not take you post in any negative way. We both have been pretty clear about our likes and dislikes and have never been in in the personal attack mode.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
it is my understanding that only 5 states that still consider this as a motorcycle.. NC being one of them. They told me in Raleigh that there is legislation that has already passed the house and onto the senate.

Welcome to ElioOwners.com from Atlanta, GA. I hope you enjoy yourself here! :)

Just to clarify this a bit for you. According to the federal government the Elio is a motorcycle and that is actually a good thing overall as it keeps things much simpler for Elio Motors as it keeps costs lower. The issue with that however is that states may require people in motorcycles to wear a helmet and/or have a motorcycle license and this is up to each state to determine.

There are currently only five states which would require adults to wear a helmet in the Elio and NC is indeed on of them. The last I heard there were about 21 states, including NC, which still required a motorcycle endorsement to drive an Elio and a few other issues in various states which need to be cleaned up. Elio Motors has a VP of Government Affairs, Joel Sheltrown, who is in charge of making sure these legal issues are resolved. Joel does a great job and as this really is not a controversial issue he has been very successful at getting laws changed around the country so far. This year should be really big for him as there are bills ready to work their way through many states to resolve these issues with NC being a focus of attention as it has both the helmet and motorcycle license issues which need to be resolved.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They told me in Raleigh that there is legislation that has already passed the house and onto the senate.

slight correction .... Representative John Torbett is in the process of drafting a bill to submit when the Legislature comes back into session .... if you would like, it would help to send him an email at john@johntorbett.com and thank him for his effort .... Joel Sheltrown is supposed to let us know if/when we can contact some one in the NC Senate or help in some other way

Jim

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
ATTENTION FOLKS FROM NC

today I received and email from Joel Sheltrown in which he stated :

"Best we can do is thank and encourage Rep Torbett. He will be dropping the legislation at the opening week of session I think. Also, ask support from your own rep and senator, as well as any other legislators you have contact with Thanks! Joel"

please consider emailing your representative and senate members

Top Bottom