• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Question To All The Gearheads?

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Now, modern after treatments and filters are effective at controlling NOx. As these become cheaper and less onerous for car owners (unlike urea injection systems) we'll start to see more diesels.
I'd rather have a Urea injection system than a NOx trap, much less likely to fail and much cheaper. NOx traps are prone to failure because they absorb sulfur from the exhaust stream, so biofuels blends, even B5, are a bad idea in such a system, whereas an SCR doesn't care what other pollutants are in it's stream, it just injects urea based on the amount of NOx in the stream.

If you ask any TDI or Cruze Diesel owner what they think about having to use DEF in their car, most won't even know what it is. 10k miles on half a tank of urea is common, so it usually gets topped off at the dealer during oil changes without the owner ever touching it. I know one guy who bought a new RAM 2500 to tow his trailer and he goes through about 5 gallons/1000 miles while towing, but almost negligible amounts while driving around without the trailer.

dgruis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Udder-Gearheads

UREA can also be fed to dairy cattle, symbiotic bacteria in the ruminant digestive system can utilize urea as a safe, low cost source of nitrogen to synthesize protein.

Rumor is...

In early 2016, IAV and Elio engineers will unveil the Elio2, a diesel urea-using-milk-producing commuter!!!

Why burn gas driving to get milk when you can burn diesel to "get" milk?

Will the Elio2 handle winter weather? Ye, way better than a Dairy Queen building.

Udder-madness!!! Suck-Squeeze-Bang-Blow style.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Udder-Gearheads

UREA can also be fed to dairy cattle, symbiotic bacteria in the ruminant digestive system can utilize urea as a safe, low cost source of nitrogen to synthesize protein.

Rumor is...

In early 2016, IAV and Elio engineers will unveil the Elio2, a diesel urea-using-milk-producing commuter!!!

Why burn gas driving to get milk when you can burn diesel to "get" milk?

Will the Elio2 handle winter weather? Ye, way better than a Dairy Queen building.

Udder-madness!!! Suck-Squeeze-Bang-Blow style.
Not to mention its use as a fertilizer, mostly for corn. I'll wait for the E3 which will make whiskey outta that corn!

Marco

Elio Fan
Reaction score
From the Elio website "news" section...the coolest thing I've read about the engine so far:

"One of the potential technology features of the Elio engine is the two-step valve lift system (VVA) which uses switching tappets. The two-mode tappets allow switching between two different valve lift profiles which allows the engine to change its airflow capacity. One mode increases airflow capacity for more torque/power in city driving. The other mode decreases airflow to reduce pumping work during light load operation such as highway driving.

The switching tappet consists of two nested housings, the inner and outer housing. The inner housing is actuated by the center cam lobe while the outer housing is actuated by lobes on either side of the center lobe. The outer housing presses against a lost motion spring when the hydraulic actuation circuit is at low pressure. In this mode the center lobe determines the valve lift. Both housing parts can be linked by means of a coupling mechanism, a high pressure hydraulic chamber. In the locked condition, the high lift is transmitted via the outer housing to the valve. As in the standard tappet, valve lash adjustment can be by hydraulic or mechanical means.

The Elio engine uses a cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system. The EGR system will be used to improve fuel consumption of the engine by reducing pumping losses and lowering peak cylinder temperatures which reduces NOx emissions. When the EGR is cooled it further reduces combustion temperatures and reduces engine knocking. This enables the engine to have a high mechanical compression ratio which helps improve fuel economy and performance. The EGR system is controlled by the ECU and will allow a specific amount of EGR into the intake manifold to be distributed into the combustion chamber."

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Putting the timing chain at the back of a longitudinal engine/transmission setup isn't a sound idea, imho, because you can't easily get at it without removing the engine. Nor is making the drive sprocket for the chain an integral part of the crankshaft. When the plastic (nylon?) chain guides wear out, the chain goes loose and damages the drive sprocket. Because that's part of the crankshaft, think total engine rebuild on a new crank. Ugly!
Hey, Wheaters, just found this post. Back in the 70's I had several Datsun rigs, pickups and a 510 sedan that had a great little 1600 OHC engine. That engine had a timing chain with a nylon tensioner/guide that was spring-loaded. The sprocket that the chain drove the camshaft with had three marks on it for adjusting the chain as it wore and elongated. We sold the '72 510 with almost 300,000 miles on it. I tightened the chain one time and never had to replace the nylon tensioning device. The manual came with a nice drawing of how to make a wooden wedge to keep the lower part of the chain tight, maintaining the position of the tensioner while you, for example, pull the cam or head, or tighten the chain. Those little engines would last indefinitely if properly cared for.

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Being this motor is being tuned for max mpg. Bet a performance style tune and more octane will put up more hp/trq .
I for one would be happy with say 50 mpg and a little more oopf.

A power adder would be fun turbo or supercharger. If the motor can handle it.
Rotating assembly ..rods ect.

Never could keep a car or bike stock for very long

Me either, but I'm gonna try really hard NOT to mod the Elio...

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From the Elio website "news" section...the coolest thing I've read about the engine so far:

"One of the potential technology features of the Elio engine is the two-step valve lift system (VVA) which uses switching tappets. ...."
Back in the late 70's, variable lift was the golden cow of cam design. Variable duration was also sought after. This one is just two settings, but seems it will also adjust the duration as best I can guess.
The paragraph does say " potential technology", so hopefully we get that technology, and in a optimal state of development. Sounds good to me!

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score

"One of the potential technology features of the Elio engine is the two-step valve lift system (VVA) which uses switching tappets. The two-mode tappets allow switching between two different valve lift profiles which allows the engine to change its airflow capacity. One mode increases airflow capacity for more torque/power in city driving. The other mode decreases airflow to reduce pumping work during light load operation such as highway driving.

The switching tappet consists of two nested housings, the inner and outer housing. The inner housing is actuated by the center cam lobe while the outer housing is actuated by lobes on either side of the center lobe. The outer housing presses against a lost motion spring when the hydraulic actuation circuit is at low pressure. In this mode the center lobe determines the valve lift. Both housing parts can be linked by means of a coupling mechanism, a high pressure hydraulic chamber. In the locked condition, the high lift is transmitted via the outer housing to the valve. As in the standard tappet, valve lash adjustment can be by hydraulic or mechanical means.

The Elio engine uses a cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system. The EGR system will be used to improve fuel consumption of the engine by reducing pumping losses and lowering peak cylinder temperatures which reduces NOx emissions. When the EGR is cooled it further reduces combustion temperatures and reduces engine knocking. This enables the engine to have a high mechanical compression ratio which helps improve fuel economy and performance. The EGR system is controlled by the ECU and will allow a specific amount of EGR into the intake manifold to be distributed into the combustion chamber."
Does this mean flat tappet cam instead of a roller cam?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Does this mean flat tappet cam instead of a roller cam?

Saves money not using rollers.

5abcca06-eef2-4257-8470-f56ec8a3dfab.jpg

http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=4801365dc7

Top Bottom