• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Question for those who are considering buying a BEX

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you were to purchase one of Mark's reverse trikes what do you see as your major uses for it ????

for us, it would be a knock around and recreational vehicle to help keep mileage off of our other vehicles ..... at our ages, that could easily extend the years of service from our 2024 Blazer and 2011 Chevy Silverado to where we will not have a need to purchase another 4 wheel vehicle .... while doing so it would save us a considerable amount in fuel cost

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The BEX Mongrel will be our (my girlfriend & I) next "bucket list" vehicle. We have been touring the United States by car, checking off various destinations and landmarks.

In 2016 (after multiple delays from Elio), I picked up an "econo-box" car. That "eono-box" has served us well, but it is wearing out.

We tend to travel (light), so Mark's trike will be the perfect vehicle to replace our current car.

Between the dependability of the Honda engine he has selected and manual transmission I want, we do think the Mongrel is the perfect fit to continue our retirement adventures. We really want to do another "cross country" adventure, visiting her family (and mine) along the way.

We are willing to fly "one-way" to any destination in the contiguous US to pick up our Mongrel and drive it home -- logging yet another adventure!!

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The BEX Mongrel will be our (my girlfriend & I) next "bucket list" vehicle. We have been touring the United States by car, checking off various destinations and landmarks.

In 2016 (after multiple delays from Elio), I picked up an "econo-box" car. That "eono-box" has served us well, but it is wearing out.

We tend to travel (light), so Mark's trike will be the perfect vehicle to replace our current car.

Between the dependability of the Honda engine he has selected and manual transmission I want, we do think the Mongrel is the perfect fit to continue our retirement adventures. We really want to do another "cross country" adventure, visiting her family (and mine) along the way.

We are willing to fly "one-way" to any destination in the contiguous US to pick up our Mongrel and drive it home -- logging yet another adventure!!
What he said.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The BEX or any other fully enclosed three wheeler would be a supplement to the family SUV…….around town errands for me. Only if there is local BEX sales, servicing, parts, and customer service. Very important to have roadside service if using for cross country travel.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
roadside service if using for cross country travel.
I'm not all that worried about breaking down. I've owned two vehicles with Honda's 1.5L engine, I know that engine like the back of my hand. I got over 225K on each of those engines with NO breakdowns. Neither car ever saw a tow truck, that being said... I was meticulous about preventive maintenance and fixing things before they completely broke.

Mark has stated he is using "off the shelf - easy to obtain" parts and will provide a "cheat sheet" for said parts. I'm quite confident I can fix anything that goes wrong.

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not all that worried about breaking down. I've owned two vehicles with Honda's 1.5L engine, I know that engine like the back of my hand. I got over 225K on each of those engines with NO breakdowns. Neither car ever saw a tow truck, that being said... I was meticulous about preventive maintenance and fixing things before they completely broke.

Mark has stated he is using "off the shelf - easy to obtain" parts and will provide a "cheat sheet" for said parts. I'm quite confident I can fix anything that goes wrong.
Dang, you are sure saving me a lot of typing

msmith5150

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My current daily driver is a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.7L Hemi gasser. I bought it in 2015 and it had around 68,000 miles on it, it is at 115,000 now. That's very low miles, but it's still a 20+ year old truck, in Iowa. Anyone who has experience with a truck similar to this knows there is almost nothing you can do to improve on the 10 mpg you get with city driving.

I also have a 2017 Harley Davidson Street 750. I bought it new, my first ever brand-new motor vehicle. That is perfect for urban environments, small and nimble, gets 45+ mpg. But, again, this is Iowa and my riding chances are not as much as they should be.

So, I went "all-in" for the Elio, but that dream is dead. Enter the Bex! When this one hopefully reaches our shores, I will jump at the chance to be one of the pioneer owners!

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Please chime in... I would certainly enjoy reading about your experiences with Honda's engine, as well.,

It is my hope that after we receive our BEX Mongrels we will assist each other with maintenance and repair tips and tricks.
We are in possession of a 2008 Fit, manual. Great car for many reasons. Several straight-through trips to Houston, Panama City Beach with only brakes, tires, plugs, gas, oil and an AC compressor for expenses. Mileage is normally in the low 30's and can scare 36 - 37 if you REALLY Work at it. I have more than a little excitement over the BEX. I am convinced Mr. Bex is well qualified for this task and I am confident the little rascal handles quite well. And, of course, I'm very interested in restoring the Fit engine's power presuming Mr. Bex detunes them, which he certainly should.

Interested

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
We currently have a 1998 Plymouth Voyager (116K miles) and a 2004 Toyota Echo (275K miles). We are both retired and don't drive much anymore. A BEX would definitely get better MPG, but probably not enough to save much. Insurance probably wouldn't be much. Typically, we only get about four bags of groceries every couple of weeks. The BEX should be able to handle that also. So really it would be a spare vehicle in case one of our others breaks down.

Top Bottom