• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

"powers To Be" In The Auto Industry Are Keeping 10k Priced Products From Coming To Market

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If Elio were changed to a four wheeler, electric, etc, would the rear wheels stick out like the front to keep it efficient or would the body be widened? Would it pass safety standards if all four wheels were sticking out?

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If Elio were changed to a four wheeler, electric, etc, would the rear wheels stick out like the front to keep it efficient or would the body be widened? Would it pass safety standards if all four wheels were sticking out?
That's a mystery. At this point, there is zero researchable evidence that Pauls claim that "half the width, double the mileage" is a reality. I've asked Elio in person and via email and zero response. I would love to see someone shoe me that what Paul says is actually true. This is with real data, not an opinion. I will make five one thousand dollar all in reservations if Paul can prove it with real data that is certified by a third party.
At this point, Elio is forced into a three wheeler car with tandem passengers. They cannot make it different. If they did, then they would be in hot water due to all of the SIL's that signed up for would not be what they did up to 6 years ago.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The physics of the "half the width, double the mileage" makes some sense for highway mpg. In a light vehicle like the Elio, the majority (but not all) of the energy requirements for cruising at higher speeds is aerodynamic drag. If cutting the width in half means that there's half the frontal area, then there would be be a corresponding 1/2 reduction in drag, all else being equal. The question is whether the net drag coefficient (Cd) of the vehicle can be maintained with the outrigger wheels. It's likely that there's some increase in Cd due to the wheels and suspension components hanging out in the breeze, but the main cabin has a very aerodynamic cigar-like shape that could be much better than a traditional car. I would have to do some work to be sure if that statement is really accurate, but the premise is at least plausible from an engineering standpoint.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The physics of the "half the width, double the mileage" makes some sense for highway mpg. In a light vehicle like the Elio, the majority (but not all) of the energy requirements for cruising at higher speeds is aerodynamic drag. If cutting the width in half means that there's half the frontal area, then there would be be a corresponding 1/2 reduction in drag, all else being equal. The question is whether the net drag coefficient (Cd) of the vehicle can be maintained with the outrigger wheels. It's likely that there's some increase in Cd due to the wheels and suspension components hanging out in the breeze, but the main cabin has a very aerodynamic cigar-like shape that could be much better than a traditional car. I would have to do some work to be sure if that statement is really accurate, but the premise is at least plausible from an engineering standpoint.
"half the width". What is Elio using this as a comparison? Paul has never said this and thus, it could be a Fiat 500 or a Ford F150. Then nothing about the height. If you want to see for yourself, then it's really easy, go to this:
https://www.a2wt.com/
Talk to the guys that work there and then see. They will tell you, "Amateur aerodynamicists get an education in a day because they see the real numbers." Plus we have never counted the engine and driveline efficiencies that have never changed no matter if they are in a Geo Metro or an Elio. I really want Paul to prove me wrong and show the Elio giving 84mpg using the current automotive EPA test. It's so simple he could literally get Elio funded in a heartbeat proving with real testing that his car does what it can do. So far, not one shred of evidence.

To finish it off, the car has changed the chassis, safety and comfort items. Then the big one, the engine. Elio designed a super special engine just for his car because nobody else could. So what's the mileage today with a non Elio engine?

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The implied meaning is that it's half the width than if they had designed it with side by side seating.

I think it seems reasonable that they could get close to their targets. I guess we will find out the actual mileage when/if it goes into production and we get real world numbers from regular people, just like every other vehicle out there.

Top Bottom