• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Pay With Fuel Credit Card

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Bump
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjzs45HTYky36hdtcQuTt5rqlQgFndGOeKgBcpFq7WYnO28QgX.jpg

Cheshire cat on meth............ :)
431.jpg

Elynde

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I skimmed most of the conversation so forgive me if this note is redundant.
It seems in the discussion of refundable versus non-refundable two major points are missing

1. With a non-refundable reservation you are matched with a credit equal to 50% of your deposit.

2. Elio has stated that all non-refundable depositors will get a vehicle in the first year (first year has not been clarified yet that I know of) This means that if the number of non-refundable depositors meets their projected production quota for the first year, the refundable ones will be pushed back down the line. Basically, a non-refundable deposit has a potential 50% return on your investment and allows you to cut in line of anyone with a lesser amount deposited and all those who have a refundable deposit.

Hope this clarifies it :)
Having very little money to take any risks on, I am only at the "I Want In" reservation level. Needless to say, your post gave me a momentary panic attack since my current vehicle is a loaner that I must return early next year. Wait more than two more years for my Elio? Say it ain't so!

So, I went to the Elio Motors website FAQ to confirm the facts. Namely: "We are limiting reservations to our first year estimated capacity so that everyone that reserves a vehicle will have one in the first year." So, unless Elio changed their own rules, I think your second statement needs a little adjustment.

James Sparks

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I went "All In" with $100.00 dollars here is what I was looking at...
1. I want one
2. I like what I saw in the idea and business model
3. I like the look of the experience level of the Board members
4. The vehicle platform looks like it could be adapted to numerous alternative energy sources in the future.
5. Kids in the U.S.A. today are being educated in greener ways (Recycling, Carbon footprints, etc.) than I was and this could be a viable commuter option for everyone.
6. MADE IN AMERICA with 90% or better North American parts and 100% American Labor
7. In Iowa motorcycles are parked for approx. 6 months out of the year (winter and weather days that no one should be riding in) Elio could be driven all year and all weather.
8. Nice motorcycle $10,000+...Nice Elio $6800 (and see #7)
9. I drive to work on my own about 40 miles round trip but want to keep my F-150 4x4
10. I can afford to lose $100.00 (might be chump change to some) but I let Elio know that I believe they can and should build this. More companies should take heed.
In the end, I think that America needs this to reawaken our manufacturing industry and boost our crappy economy.

On a different note...
Paul Elio has been pursuing this Idea and Ambition since 2008, 5 years. If production starts in 2015, in 6 years, he will have worked a miracle. He will have started a new American vehicle manufacturing company PLUS put a purely conceptual vehicle on the market in what I would consider a record time.
The question that everyone here should ask is "How long does it take the leading manufacturers to take a vehicle from concept to actual production?" That's just the vehicle with all the assets needed already in place. I bet that it takes more than 6 years

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Paul Elio has been pursuing this Idea and Ambition since 2008, 5 years. If production starts in 2015, in 6 years, he will have worked a miracle. He will have started a new American vehicle manufacturing company PLUS put a purely conceptual vehicle on the market in what I would consider a record time.
The question that everyone here should ask is "How long does it take the leading manufacturers to take a vehicle from concept to actual production?" That's just the vehicle with all the assets needed already in place. I bet that it takes more than 6 years

The development timeframe is not as bad as some may think but the costs of developing new automobiles is staggering. On the cheap side manufacturers can bring out a new variant using an existing platform and drivetrain in as little as two years and 500 million dollars. For an all new car platform, with a new drivetrain, it can take manufacturers over five years and over five billion dollars.

For those of you who think delays are somehow unusual in vehicle development you should check out the development of the new C7 Chevrolet Corvette. Even with all the resources GM has this car took three years longer than originally planned to develop. It was planned to be introduced as a 2011 model however was finally released as a 2014 model.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The development timeframe is not as bad as some may think but the costs of developing new automobiles is staggering. On the cheap side manufacturers can bring out a new variant using an existing platform and drivetrain in as little as two years and 500 million dollars. For an all new car platform, with a new drivetrain, it can take manufacturers over five years and over five billion dollars.

For those of you who think delays are somehow unusual in vehicle development you should check out the development of the new C7 Chevrolet Corvette. Even with all the resources GM has this car took three years longer than originally planned to develop. It was planned to be introduced as a 2011 model however was finally released as a 2014 model.
Goofyone, at the risk of sounding maudlin here, I want you to know how much I appreciate the knowledge you have and your willingness to share it with us. And you share it in a way even I can understand without feeling I am being talked down to. Thank you. We are very lucky to have you here. :-) Z

Top Bottom