• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Options And Upgrades, Cruise Control, Etc...

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Try clicking the link on my previous post - it will take you to an interview on "Jay Leno's Garage" that should answer your questions.
That was more of an infomercial.

I did a separate search and I think this product is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist if you flush your coolant as recommended.

If the choice is adding a 50/50 mixture of tap water and engine coolant, I'd see the benefit, but modern coolant mixed with distilled water has the proper amount of corrosion inhibitors so I see no benefit with corrosion. Auto mfrs recommend flushing about every 3-5 years, and it is not that expensive. I think my Honda dealer charges about $80. I've changed it once in 165k miles.

If people flush with tap water mixed with coolant, or if you just use distilled water alone that could cause a problem. Tap water has impurities that will coat the cooling system and will deteriorate the cooling capacity and also can start corrosion of the internals. Distilled water alone will also look to pull minerals into it's solution, so it will also eat away at the materials in the engine cooling system, but I don't know anyone using distilled water alone in their cooling system. At auto stores they even sell engine coolant premixed so DIY'ers can do it themselves without worrying about the proper mix.

The boiling point is a moot issue for a properly working/maintained car. If a system is designed to run under pressure then who cares if someone designed a coolant that can run at lower pressure. IMHO, it is a red herring selling point.

Evans coolant is essentially some form of 100% glycol. The viscosity of this stuff is about 10x a water/ethylene glycol mixture and it's heat transfer capability is less. They sell a few products, but one of them, the NPG, is essentially just 100% propylene glycol. The water pump and radiator in any car are designed for a certain amount of flow and heat transfer, maybe this stuff happens to work good enough because the water pump and radiator are sufficiently oversized that people don't see problems but I still fail to see the benefit.

The only cooling system failure I've ever had was on a 20 year old pickup truck when the T-stat froze shut on scorching hot day. Took the sucker out and drove until I got to a parts store to buy a new one. I'm not sure the biggest problem we're going to have with the Elio is engine cooling system problems due to the type of coolant provided from the factory.

When I design pumping systems at work, just changing from a 100% water system to 30% glycol system usually requires pump selection motor hp increases and the efficiencies of the heating/cooling devices and heat rejection devices all are reduced, so the terminal units usually need to be increased in heat transfer surface area. Even though this is a car, it is still just a HVAC system except the heat is rejected from a cylinder block instead of a boiler, evaporator, or condenser barrel.

Evans recommends you completely flush your whole system almost bone dry before you introduce their coolant. Again, I don't see the cost benefit here.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since the windshield washer bottle is what ever you decide to screw on it I think I will add a bottle of Bourbon and route the hose inside for those difficult commutes (The above statement is strictly for comedic value and does not dictate how I have commuted, do commute or will commute in the future).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since the windshield washer bottle is what ever you decide to screw on it I think I will add a bottle of Bourbon and route the hose inside for those difficult commutes (The above statement is strictly for comedic value and does not dictate how I have commuted, do commute or will commute in the future).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prost!
upload_2014-7-11_13-16-59.jpeg

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Might be a good idea to add in some power ports, both 12 volt and USB. I can add all I want but I suspect most people would find it challenging. As important as our phones, tablets, gps, laptops and so on have become in modern life I think many people would consider these things pretty important. A few ports shouldn't cost much and might be a plus for sales.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Might be a good idea to add in some power ports, both 12 volt and USB. I can add all I want but I suspect most people would find it challenging. As important as our phones, tablets, gps, laptops and so on have become in modern life I think many people would consider these things pretty important. A few ports shouldn't cost much and might be a plus for sales.

USB and 12V ports are installed both in the front and back seat areas of the P4. Various combinations of these ports will be available as either standard or optional items.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That was more of an infomercial.

I did a separate search and I think this product is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist if you flush your coolant as recommended.

If the choice is adding a 50/50 mixture of tap water and engine coolant, I'd see the benefit, but modern coolant mixed with distilled water has the proper amount of corrosion inhibitors so I see no benefit with corrosion. Auto mfrs recommend flushing about every 3-5 years, and it is not that expensive. I think my Honda dealer charges about $80. I've changed it once in 165k miles.

If people flush with tap water mixed with coolant, or if you just use distilled water alone that could cause a problem. Tap water has impurities that will coat the cooling system and will deteriorate the cooling capacity and also can start corrosion of the internals. Distilled water alone will also look to pull minerals into it's solution, so it will also eat away at the materials in the engine cooling system, but I don't know anyone using distilled water alone in their cooling system. At auto stores they even sell engine coolant premixed so DIY'ers can do it themselves without worrying about the proper mix.

The boiling point is a moot issue for a properly working/maintained car. If a system is designed to run under pressure then who cares if someone designed a coolant that can run at lower pressure. IMHO, it is a red herring selling point.

Evans coolant is essentially some form of 100% glycol. The viscosity of this stuff is about 10x a water/ethylene glycol mixture and it's heat transfer capability is less. They sell a few products, but one of them, the NPG, is essentially just 100% propylene glycol. The water pump and radiator in any car are designed for a certain amount of flow and heat transfer, maybe this stuff happens to work good enough because the water pump and radiator are sufficiently oversized that people don't see problems but I still fail to see the benefit.

The only cooling system failure I've ever had was on a 20 year old pickup truck when the T-stat froze shut on scorching hot day. Took the sucker out and drove until I got to a parts store to buy a new one. I'm not sure the biggest problem we're going to have with the Elio is engine cooling system problems due to the type of coolant provided from the factory.

When I design pumping systems at work, just changing from a 100% water system to 30% glycol system usually requires pump selection motor hp increases and the efficiencies of the heating/cooling devices and heat rejection devices all are reduced, so the terminal units usually need to be increased in heat transfer surface area. Even though this is a car, it is still just a HVAC system except the heat is rejected from a cylinder block instead of a boiler, evaporator, or condenser barrel.

Evans recommends you completely flush your whole system almost bone dry before you introduce their coolant. Again, I don't see the cost benefit here.
Maybe there is a low carb version... you know, to help... I hear low carb is good. Do people still have problems with cooling systems? I did once but that was in my 1965 Mustang (in 1986) with a 351 Windsor and using good old water from the garden hose as a coolant. I probably should have been using antifreeze but that big motor in such a little engine bay... well, I was a little light on cash in those days...

Top Bottom