• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Opening Rear Side Windows

Magnafique

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that I saw a post where a reservation holder said that he was going to go for the optional swing out rear windows. I haven't seen that on the option list? I think it would be really nice to be able to crack the rear windows as appropriate with those little over-center hinges to give the passenger a bigger feeling in the rear seat. Just my .02 worth. Magnafique

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know they were going to offer pop out windows as an option but I don't see an easy way to do that. If the windows come standard and are glued in place like most non-moveable windows are, they'd have to pop out the windows, clean up the glue, add a seal, add a hinge, add a striker/lock, and then assemble the new windows. Not easy.

It COULD be that they eventually decide to just make them all pop-out windows instead of going through that hassle or just not offer them at all (I hope they do offer them though).

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since we all will be "configuring" our own Elios before they're built, it should be no problem to either put in a solid window or a pop out!
Expense for having the extra part on the assembly line is the only drawback I can see... but I'm NO expert:)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I know they were going to offer pop out windows as an option but I don't see an easy way to do that. If the windows come standard and are glued in place like most non-moveable windows are, they'd have to pop out the windows, clean up the glue, add a seal, add a hinge, add a striker/lock, and then assemble the new windows. Not easy.

It COULD be that they eventually decide to just make them all pop-out windows instead of going through that hassle or just not offer them at all (I hope they do offer them though).
Actually to make it the most secure you have to have a different glass to use; you can't drill through tempered glass. You have to drill the holes for the hinges and latch and then temper the glass. Plus thickness comes into the picture also. Yes, I know they have the pieces that can be glued and slid onto the glass like a paperclip but those don't hold up, and they are easy to beat.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually to make it the most secure you have to have a different glass to use; you can't drill through tempered glass. You have to drill the holes for the hinges and latch and then temper the glass. Plus thickness comes into the picture also. Yes, I know they have the pieces that can be glued and slid onto the glass like a paperclip but those don't hold up, and they are easy to beat.
Oh, I didn't mean they'd reuse the glass! No... I just meant to include the time consuming processes of what goes into assembling the new windows. It'd be a royal pain in the ass.

Magnafique

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't mean they'd reuse the glass! No... I just meant to include the time consuming processes of what goes into assembling the new windows. It'd be a royal pain in the ass.
Well they haven't even started real production, so they have plenty of time to engineer pop out windows even it it was an additional $100.00 cost for the two windows. I am not sure that the rear seat offers a sense of space so being able to open a simple window or two in your space would be an nice option for passengers. But what do I know??? Merry Christmas all, Magnafique

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Well they haven't even started real production, so they have plenty of time to engineer pop out windows even it it was an additional $100.00 cost for the two windows. I am not sure that the rear seat offers a sense of space so being able to open a simple window or two in your space would be an nice option for passengers. But what do I know??? Merry Christmas all, Magnafique
I know what I'm going to do for the passenger; mount a monitor (tablet) on the back of the drivers seat and it has a choice, internet, movies, or roof mounted camera. Then mount a camera on the roof (in an aero case) that can act as a periscope. That way the back seat can see forward too.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Makes sense as it will let fresh air for times when passenger may be in the Elio.. At least as part of an Option or Option package.. Even if cost was $50, I'd pay it (was in the list of two dozen or so options suggested to EM some 8 months ago. davzway
Did you ever get a reply?
And I'm sure they have ideas coming to them everyday. So it wouldn't hurt to send it again.
Maybe suggest it a different way that would sound more appealing.

Top Bottom