• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Oklahoma City Elio Or What I Learned In School Today

Ty

Elio Addict
Adding to this...Max front width 78 in rear width 23 in..Inside trunk width at very back is 19 in..As you move forward to the back of the rear seat about 23.. Trunk depth at rear is about 5 inches, depth at rear of back seat is about 8 inches..Tilt wheel will be standard..No key Fob with power door lock..To me the unit was nothing to get excited about nor was it a thumbs down.. About as good as 7 grand will get ya.. It does look somewhat better than pictures reveal..Tow Hitch, After looking under the rear, it's a swing arm , just like a motorcycle, So a motorcycle type hitch will have to be made by someone.. Just one shock back there, that's bad, it needs two, one on each side of wheel especially if you plan to tow... They did say a front bar for towing will be an option, they expect many old fart rv'ers to be dingy pulling flant on all 3's behind motorhomes ( stick shift only)..Most of the younger reps answering questions and helping old folk get in and out were x walmart employed..As I watched them move the rear sear back and forth so many times letting people in / out I would not suggest the power seat option, Why ?.. Power seats are slow moving, my experience has been they are the first thing to screw up.. If you plan on a passenger daily I'd stick with the manual controls..I asked the x Walmart girl about intermintent wipers, She did not know what I was talking about..I was most amazed at the full range of ages wanting one.. There were folks in their 80"s and baby's in their teens plus children in their 40's also plenty of old dudes like me who don't want to grow up..Your Ekio will not be the hottest looking car on the road, however it's purdy dern kool..
That sure isn't much of a trunk but I guess the average commute doesn't involve much in the way of trunk requirement. From what I understand, we can probably add about 2 inches to most of the height measurements that you took when the P5 comes out with the raised rear. I also agree about the manual seats. Electric seats are nice but this car needs to stay light and simple. It's not like you actually have to adjust the height every time you get in, for instance. Most people probably find their favorite position and keep it there most of the time. Good info you provided. Thanks.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Both Elio & Lit Motors need their Legal Teams to get the motorcycle & helmet issues changed State by State to make it as convenient as possible. Don't require owner's to jump through hoops to purchase and drive an enclosed auto/cycle. Many potential customers will not purchase these vehicles if they have motorcycle classifications with special licensing required. The companies should work jointly to get this done before actual production begins. Please give us some indication that you are working to get this issue resolved.

KN16

Elio Addict
Both Elio & Lit Motors need their Legal Teams to get the motorcycle & helmet issues changed State by State to make it as convenient as possible. Don't require owner's to jump through hoops to purchase and drive an enclosed auto/cycle. Many potential customers will not purchase these vehicles if they have motorcycle classifications with special licensing required. The companies should work jointly to get this done before actual production begins. Please give us some indication that you are working to get this issue resolved.
I would hope this is so far down the list it can't be found. They have things to worry about like production that are way more important. After waiting this long how is it jumping through hoops to run down to the DMV and devoting a couple of hours to get you MC endorsement?

As for helmet laws there are plenty of states without them. Those that have them 1) are unlikely to see them enforced in an enclosed vehicle 2) are unlikely to visit changing them until they see for themselves that there is a reason to change them or they hear from people who can actually cast a vote for them.

As for the loss of potential customers the pictures of people lining up to buy something that won't be made for another year says different.

I want this to stay a motorcycle creating a new class IE autocycle will make certain bureaucrats feel they need to create new laws and regulations.

3 Card

Elio Addict
This is not an obstacle to me..Personally I'd rather title and tag it as a motorcycle.. Insursance will be paid once a year instead of 6 months My Harley cost 200 bucks a year , it's about a 30 grand replacement.. Cops can't ticket ya for not wearing seat belt..Do not shoot yourself in the foot / wallet trying to change the law here, many things are to your benefit registering it as a motorcycle.. I think those of us who ride will agree..Furthermore I really can't picture a cop pulling you over driving this in a helmet state for not wearing one.. Get a motorcycle endorsement so you can save big on your insurance.. The endorsement will be your ticket to bikers frugal rates, with out it you may not get insurance period in a few states..

Last edited:

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Just looked into a MC endorsement here, 22 hour safety course over 3 days before DMV test and stamp of approval. I'm willing, but not everyone would be.

3 Card

Elio Addict
WELL SAID!!!
Damn, you agreed with me on something.. But honestly people have a year to study and get an endorsement.. We do not need more laws or restrictions on either cars or motorcycles, leave well enough alone unless you want the Elio to turn into a 20, 000 buck car.

KN16

Elio Addict
Just looked into a MC endorsement here, 22 hour safety course over 3 days before DMV test and stamp of approval. I'm willing, but not everyone would be.
I feel your pain. Most places are not this intense and no matter what Paul Elio says nothing like this will get changed until the different localities see the need.

At 3 days I'm guessing this is about fleecing people out of money and not safety.