• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ok, Not Similar

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
'40's and '50's saw a lot of innovative "hidden" spots for gas fillers . . . behind tail lights, in fins, even in trim bits. I briefly owned a '47 Cadillac in college I was determined to restore, and to put gas in it - push the reflector button on the left tail light and swing the whole assembly up to reveal the filler. The hood release was activated by chucking the hood ornament under the chin. The whole thing was a lever that opened the loong hood (designed for a straight-8) to reveal that shorter V8 beneath. World's longest fan shroud made up for the difference. It could be removed to let you stand between the engine and the radiator for service. Wow. You sure don't see that anymore.

Many other newer offerings would drive pump jockeys crazy for the first few weeks until they learned where to put the nozzle. It was fun to watch them search, though. The worst were the '60's that hid the filler behind the license plate. Since the fill pipe was just about level with the tank - at least on some GM products, if you weren't careful you could overfill the tank, trapping air on top of the fuel, then withdraw the nozzle and have a quart of ethyl burp back all over your feet. Those were the days . . . . :doh:

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
when I was a teenager I bought a 57 chevy delray (600$!), ran it out of gas in the driveway playing with it, spent the next hour looking for the gas cap, my mother came home an showed me it was under the drivers side tail fin chrome, I never would have figured it out on my own..

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
when I was a teenager I bought a 57 chevy delray (600$!), ran it out of gas in the driveway playing with it, spent the next hour looking for the gas cap, my mother came home an showed me it was under the drivers side tail fin chrome, I never would have figured it out on my own..
That's why they make "Owner's Manuals"!

Top Bottom