• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ohio Law

Reaction score
Well, we got an update from the Senator's office this morning. They were not able to get legislation introduced in November / December. End of year stuff got in the way, I guess. But, there is two plans in work. Once they get the House bill for the Transportation Budget, he will try to insert the helmet and licensing exemptions for our enclosed-cab motorcycle, for both the passenger and driver and move the date up from 2017! Most likely this will work, but if not he will be able to introduce a separate bill. The budget is due to be on the Governors desk by March 1. 90 days after he signs it, it will be ready for the new fiscal year starting June 1. So, hang in there, it doesn't sound like we will hear any thing new till near March. And hope we do because the second plan time table will be cutting it close to our present projected production start date. I asked about maybe Buckeye's party plans might include us all visiting the Senate in action but the date would be hard to narrow down. I also asked about baby seats on a motorcycle or inside an elio. The young fella will check on it. We're not sure it is legal either way.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Will the baby have to wear a helmet in an Elio?

Hypothetical question but still... If they say occupants must wear a helmet...

Reaction score
Will the baby have to wear a helmet in an Elio?

Hypothetical question but still... If they say occupants must wear a helmet...

As the law is now, YES!!! I will have to make my four year old, strapped in his car seat in the back of my elio. Isn't that a hoot !!! Anybody under the age of 18 years old. But, then think, who would strap a baby seat on a motorcycle? Cross fingers OHIO.

Brian Arthur

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Here's some of the text of the bill. From my understanding, it just eases the helmet requirement, but does not address the requirement for a motorcycle endorsement / license.

House Bill 53 "Transportation and Public Safety Budget FY2016 and FY2017"
https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-summary?id=GA131-HB-53

PDF: http://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/solarapi/v1/general_assembly_131/bills/hb53/EN?format=pdf

(C)(1) Except as provided in division (C)(3) of this section, no person shall operate or be a passenger on a snowmobile or motorcycle without using safety glasses or other protective eye device. Except as provided in division (C)(3) of this section, no person who is under the age of eighteen years, or who holds a motorcycle operator's endorsement or license bearing a "novice" designation that is currently in effect as provided in section 4507.13 of the Revised Code, shall operate a motorcycle on a highway, or be a passenger on a motorcycle, unless wearing a protective helmet on the person's head, and no other person shall be a passenger on a motorcycle operated by such a person unless similarly wearing a protective helmet. The helmet, safety glasses, or other protective eye device shall conform with rules adopted by the director of public safety. The provisions of this paragraph or a violation thereof shall not be used in the trial of any civil action.

(C)(2)(a) Except as provided in division (C)(3) of this section, no person shall operate a motorcycle with a valid temporary instruction permit and temporary instruction permit identification card issued by the registrar of motor vehicles pursuant to section 4507.05 of the Revised Code unless the person, at the time of such operation, is wearing on the person's head a protective helmet that conforms with rules adopted by the director.

(C)(3) Divisions (C)(1) and (2)(a) of this section do not apply to a person who operates or is a passenger in a cab-enclosed motorcycle when the occupant compartment top is in place enclosing the occupants.

Top Bottom