• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ohio Law

Reaction score
OH MY !!! I just got off the phone with Senator Seitz's office and things are really moving along fine with the helmet law in Ohio. The Governmental Affairs fellow, Joel Sheltrown is on the ball. SB 114 passed in the last assembly, exempting Elio drivers from the dreaded helmet laws, but it's effected date is January 2017. Joel and the Senator is aware of this problem and working on it. I regress here and say that I have been in contact with Joel too on the Elio Enthusiast Forum. Why he seems to like that group more than our's is shitty, but oh well.
Back to subject; The Tesla Bill about their dealerships passed the Senate last spring but it isn't an act yet or ready for the governor to sign. (SB 260). It also doesn't address Elio. But, it is a jumping board to use. A Elio Bill will be introduced maybe in November or January. Joel and Sentator Seitz's office is working on that. This is no easy task and timing will be short. But, it is promising to be in place by the time our stores to open. (AFTER WE GET OUR'S, LOL).
Troubling is my concern about the requirement to get a MC endorsement to drive our Elios. Here in Ohio for the first year after getting the endorsement we will again be required to wear a helmet and forbidden to carry a passenger or ride at night. I stressed this to the fellow and now he knows it IS important to exempt us to get an endorsement. Again, this is no easy task and the timing on this is even shorter.
Long subject short; Joel Sheltrown and Senator Seitz has it in hand. It looks good.

PRISON; THE OTHER RETIREMENT PLAN, I'D RATHER NOT TAKE.

Ray O

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I live in Ohio. Let me know if I can help. I do have a motorcycle endorsement. and after many years of riding I took the MC class and learned a lot. That course is hard to get into but it only cost $25.00 they provide the motorcycle. FYI there use to be a special endorsement for three wheel motorcycles. form the Ohio DMV. " Operators of these vehicles will need to pass the three-wheeled motorcycle skills test and have the three-wheel endorsement added to their Ohio operator's license. Customers that already have a motorcycle endorsement will not need additional testing, as they already qualify to drive a three-wheel vehicle."

Triangles

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
The helmet requirement and passenger restriction is only for the first year. Sign up now for the $25 Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Basic Rider course. It's only one weekend. I highly recommend this even if you aren't ever planning on riding 2 wheels! Once you pass the course you take the certificate to the BMV, pay the fee and you have your MC endorsement. It will be at least a year before they start building the elio. So you will be past the helmet and passenger restrictions.

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/

Edit: FYI You must go get your motorcycle temps from the BMV BEFORE taking the class! This class has made me a better car driver too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Even better news OHIO folks. Senator Seitz's office call again this morning. YES, Yes, yes, thing are moving along just fine. The snippet I was worried about the passenger needing to wear a helmet is being taken care of. (Not just the operator) And there is wording in the bill excluding cab-enclosed riders (passengers & drivers) from needing a motorcycle endorsement. I am just unable to find it in the copy I have. The effective date is also being taken care of. These new fixes will come just in time and be in effect by the time our elios are available. But because of the schedules of the Senate, it will be close. Relax, I have.

Semtorq

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Even better news OHIO folks. Senator Seitz's office call again this morning. YES, Yes, yes, thing are moving along just fine. The snippet I was worried about the passenger needing to wear a helmet is being taken care of. (Not just the operator) And there is wording in the bill excluding cab-enclosed riders (passengers & drivers) from needing a motorcycle endorsement. I am just unable to find it in the copy I have. The effective date is also being taken care of. These new fixes will come just in time and be in effect by the time our elios are available. But because of the schedules of the Senate, it will be close. Relax, I have.

Hey! Can you post a link to either what you have in hand or where we can view the bill as it sits today? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hey! Can you post a link to either what you have in and or where we can view the bill as it sits today? Thanks.[/QUOT

OK, I tried but file is 'too large'. No joke, the two of them together is about a half an inch thick, about 90 pages lol.
I couldn't get a updated copy of the ORC Sec 4511.53 off the internet. SB 114 was introduced 3-19-11, was in Highway & Transportation Committee 6-2-11, passed senate (31 to 0) 9-27-11, it was reported to the Highway, Trans, Public Safety & HOMELAND SECURITY 12-11-12, passed the house 12-12-12, senate concurred with the house amendments 12-13-12. OK, So why isn't available on line updated? Don't ask me.
Try 130th Assembly LSC 130 2665-1 for the first new bill. It took care of the helmet for the 'operator' of the cab-enclosed motorcycle, but not the passenger and had an effective date of 1-1-2017 !!! The second hasn't been introduced yet but it corrects the effective date and covers the passenger. The Senator's office WAS UN-AWARE the elio will actually have a back seat in it !!!! And also to my delight it excuses the operator of an enclosed-cab motorcycle from needing a motorcycle endorsement. Because I complained about the restrictions placed on the 'novelist' operator. (No passengers, no driving at night and again must wear a helmet for the first year of carrying the motorcycle endorsement. Again, the office was UN-AWARE ,of the restrictions in force for the 'novelist operator' . These should be introduced in November or January the latest (cross fingers that one or hopefully both of these bills make it through by January, because it's 30 days on this desk and 30 days on that desk and oh my goodness lets not skip HOMELAND SECURITY. It going to be cutting it close.

Top Bottom