• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Guarantees...

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
WHHHAAAT???? :mad: I better hold my comment...and my temper until I see it first hand at the LA Auto Show! :D
Depends on how you define "fully functional." They expect to have the completed car, which is a prototype, a P car, not an E car, at the show. I am told it will be able to run, though for the show there's no need for it to run. For later press demonstrations it will be governed, just like the P4. Would YOU want some 22-year old geek to take a prototype out and try to redline it off a stop light? Max it out on the freeway?

Will the A/C be working? I have no idea. The dome light (if there is one)? The rear passenger seat belt? The lock for the trunk? These little things wouldn't bother me at all. It's a prototype readied for use at a trade show.

So I'd say to all those who are expecting a perfectly finished, drive-it-home production car instead of a prototype -- get a reality check sometime real soon.

cantwait

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Depends on how you define "fully functional." They expect to have the completed car, which is a prototype, a P car, not an E car, at the show. I am told it will be able to run, though for the show there's no need for it to run. For later press demonstrations it will be governed, just like the P4. Would YOU want some 22-year old geek to take a prototype out and try to redline it off a stop light? Max it out on the freeway?

Will the A/C be working? I have no idea. The dome light (if there is one)? The rear passenger seat belt? The lock for the trunk? These little things wouldn't bother me at all. It's a prototype readied for use at a trade show.

So I'd say to all those who are expecting a perfectly finished, drive-it-home production car instead of a prototype -- get a reality check sometime real soon.
No comment means .... "no comment."
Umm. Yeah. Got it. LOL

cantwait

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is really expecting a "perfectly finished, drive-it-home production car", but some of us were expecting a high-level prototype with all the working parts, and close to production specs.

This is the vehicle that will drive the Reg A+ funding, and it needs to impress sufficiently to raise $25 million dollars. I hope the Elio takes it very seriously.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In some sense, it's the first 'real' Elio, having the new engine installed, and all the real supplier provided parts and assemblies.
That's exactly what is meant by driveable/functional P5 that can be used for track testing purposes to validate mpg along with other claims prior to starting the E Builds. The P5 better have the fit and finish if the strategy is to use it to attract needed funding.

My P5 expectation is at the minimum the P4 level of fit and finish and can be driven around a test track to test performance claims.

Last edited:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score

First of, I think you should look up the meaning of "prototype" and you'll find the word "test", you will also won't find the word "display". You also got it all wrong when you say "will you want some 22 year old geek..." because while it's stupid to even think EM will want that to happen, now I ask you, with it's new AIV engine installed, would you want EM at least test it and see how things go without being governed? Hell yeah! And not to add insult to your comment, this is not an "early" prototype but rather the "final" prototype where the E series will be based upon for real world testing- and who said anything about "drive it home production car"? Even the P4 with it's "borrowed" engine and incomplete in many ways was tested so it's at least road worthy for press demonstrations. Perfectly finish?? After spending thousands of dollars for this last iteration P5- here's a reality check for you- IT SHOULD BE! :mad:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
First of, I think you should look up the meaning of "prototype" and you'll find the word "test", you will also won't find the word "display". You also got it all wrong when you say "will you want some 22 year old geek..." because while it's stupid to even think EM will want that to happen, now I ask you, with it's new AIV engine installed, would you want EM at least test it and see how things go without being governed? Hell yeah! And not to add insult to your comment, this is not an "early" prototype but rather the "final" prototype where the E series will be based upon for real world testing- and who said anything about "drive it home production car"? Even the P4 with it's "borrowed" engine and incomplete in many ways was tested so it's at least road worthy for press demonstrations. Perfectly finish?? After spending thousands of dollars for this last iteration P5- here's a reality check for you- IT SHOULD BE! :mad:
My understanding. The P5 is stated as the final design, and is for the most part. But in actuality, as a contingency, it's building is as an exercise, supposed to finalize how the E1-25 will be built. Then if there are any changes in the E's due to testing, the P5 is supposed to be adjusted to that so they all match in every way. It will have to match for any P5 testing to legally represent the Elio production models.
For the 75 mpg ATVM requirement to qualify, there has to be a reasonable expectation that the final version was tested. I think therefore some E testing must happen first, but that's not quite clear at this point, at least for us looking in, from the outside.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My understanding. The P5 is stated as the final design, and is for the most part. But in actuality, as a contingency, it's building is as an exercise, supposed to finalize how the E1-25 will be built. Then if there are any changes in the E's due to testing, the P5 is supposed to be adjusted to that so they all match in every way. It will have to match for any P5 testing to legally represent the Elio production models.
For the 75 mpg ATVM requirement to qualify, there has to be a reasonable expectation that the final version was tested. I think therefore some E testing must happen first, but that's not quite clear at this point, at least for us looking in, from the outside.

I'm really missing where you're getting that from.
Could you please provide the URL?
I thought I had read the ATVM UEV stuff pretty carefully, but maybe I missed something.

Top Bottom