• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Myelio.me Is Up & Running

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been a gear head for 21 years professionally, I'm a diesel technician, plus another probably 4 years just for fun when I was young before I started doing it for a living. I'll repair my own vehicles when it makes monetary sense. Like replacing brakes, especially disc brakes because I can save a couple hundred dollars. But I don't change my own oil anymore. Too messy, dealing with the cleanup and disposal, and buying the oil, etc. It's just so much easier to let someone else do it.

Basically I don't really like tinkering with my vehicles anymore. Mechanically at least. Just not fun for me anymore. I have hope that by the time I'm 50, 9 years from now, I'll be able to stop being a mechanic because by then the job will have consumed 30 years of my life. I'm already pretty beaten up physically, and mentally the vehicles are getting more and more complicated to work on, it's pretty taxing. I just want to be able to go traveling with my wife, enjoy the latter part of my life while I'm still able to do so.

Well that's enough of my crybaby rant for one day! Carry on gear heads! :D
I agree with you on the oil changes; I even bring my own oil and filter.
I get my Castrol Edge from Walmart for $22 a gallon (it's $7.85 a qt. from O'rielys) full synthetic, and a Bosch Filter; oil change place charges me $15 to change it.
I agree with the mess of cleaning up, and just the hassle of doing it. Although the disposal is easy here; you just put it in a plastic milk jug, and set it out with the recycle, they take it, no charge.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is that kind of setup cheaper than the old style? And would it be a good fit for the Elio?

My 2002 Jag had this setup. It cost about $40 per coil, but it made it really easy to replace if one of the coils failed. In my wife's 1987 Olds, it cost us $600 at the shop to get the coilpack replaced as a whole. So $100 per cylinder for parts+labor, vs $40 per cylinder for parts with DIY labor. For two very different vehicles, the price works out to be about the same for either setup.

However, the individual coils are much easier to replace yourself, and easier to diagnose/fix a single cylinder misfire. So I'd prefer if the Elio goes with this setup :)

J. Dub

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Hmm I just answered this for someone else last night; "See through" panel maybe in the Gen I Elio, likely in the Gen II
Sunroof would be too small to be practical; it would be about the size of a sheet of paper.
This will be an absolute case where I would not purchase an elio unless I was able to have a glass roof. I shall keep my fingers crossed.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This will be an absolute case where I would not purchase an elio unless I was able to have a glass roof. I shall keep my fingers crossed.

I have no clue if they will offer a sunroof as a factory option .... if not, I tend to believe one could most likely be added by a custom body shop ....

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no clue if they will offer a sunroof as a factory option .... if not, I tend to believe one could most likely be added by a custom body shop ....
That's what I covered in my comment, it can be done, but it's too small to be anything more than a porthole.
Now a non-opening see through panel I can see (they call those panoramic roofs), but I wouldn't want it on mine.
Way to easy to shatter, and major cost if it does break.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's what I covered in my comment, it can be done, but it's too small to be anything more than a porthole.
Now a non-opening see through panel I can see (they call those panoramic roofs), but I wouldn't want it on mine.
Way to easy to shatter, and major cost if it does break.

Maybe if it was on a car. But the Elio is technically a motorcycle, which means it can be made from a shatter-resistant plexiglass material.

Top Bottom