• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Review And Thoughts After Seeing The P4

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So take it for what it's worth, but here are a few thoughts of mine after seeing the P4 in Colorado over Labor Day weekend.
Let me start first by stating that I am sharing my views after seeing a prototype vehicle. I'm in the transportation industry, so I understand prototypes are exactly what they are...an example of a product that has yet to be perfected and is not yet in production.
With that being said, I was able to overlook the imperfections and somewhat "cheap" looking fixtures that are on the car, and visualize the end result that we are all patiently waiting for.
Exterior :
Overall I was very impressed with the outside. One thing that surprised me was how short it really is. I think the specs say it's 54" tall but I didn't put a tape measure to it. I'm still not a big fan of the enclosed front fenders but they looked a lot better in person than in pictures. My concerns on them are: ease of removal; snow/ice buildup inside; road debri getting caught inside and would a blow out cause severe havoc. I didn't take a real close look at their mounts but a gentleman in line said it looked like there were 2 bolts on the inside to remove for tire access. The back tire which is a 185/60/15, looked really good tucked away. I asked about access for tire removal, and one of the team members stated that there was most likely going to be a lever inside the "trunk" that would release a latch when pulled and the wheel cover would then open like a "clamshell". I kind of have the same concerns for the back as I do the front, but it appeared there was more room inside the wheel well on the back. I don't have any experience with them, but I think run flat tires might be a good option for the Elio as there is no spare. The trunk door had a latch on the outside in order to open it. I didn't see a lock so I assume that is still on the drawing board. It had a prop rod which could get in the way when putting stuff in or out. I'd like to see the opening a few inches taller and I think a remote would be the best for opening and security. The hood opens to the front and is out of the way enough for you to do simple maintenance. I won't comment on the engine or the compartment it's in as that's all likely to change with the new engine. I thought the side view mirrors were a good size and looked good. Overall I think the body lines and window openings looked really good and everything flowed nicely together.
Interior:
Getting into both seat positions was actually a lot like getting into your average sub compact car. In the front seat I felt like I had plenty of room. Just like driving a normal car but having the same amount of room on the right side as you do the left. Just so you can compare I'm 5'10" and 190 lbs with a 32"-34" inseam and 36" waist. I had plenty of legroom, headspace and on my sides. I didn't belt in but the shoulder harnes seemed easily accessible. Reaching to the steering wheel and foot controls felt normal, but depending on where things are on the dash, I see that steering wheel controls would be very nice. I didn't notice that there was tilt or telescoping but the column probably isn't what is going to be the end product anyway. The side mirrors seemed to be placed in a good spot, but with all vehicles there are blind spots that a person has to get used to. The windshield opening gave a nice view and I could see the front fenders out the sides just fine. One thing I may consider is a see thru tinted visor for the windshield instead of the solid one currently installed. If your going from a big buick or caddy this will be a big change for you, but if your in a sub compact like me you will adjust easily. The current front seat was comfortable for the few minutes I was in it, but it's had several thousand butts in it so it's hard to tell exactly. The back seat was a little tighter. The sales team said there is going to be 2" more headroom in the production model and more padding on the seat. My knees were touching the back of the front seat, but I'm not sure what position it was in. The view out the side was fine but all you really saw straight ahead was the backrest. I could envision a tv screen in that with either a view from a camera out the front or even a view of the driver. Or just watch a movie. I could sit in the back on a road trip but would probably enjoy getting out every 100-150 miles to stretch. My wife said she felt fine and would have no problem sitting there for an extended drive.
As far as the car goes that's about all I have.
The sales team was very upbeat and informational. Jerome Vassallo who is the VP of sales was with them the day I was there and was very excited about the future of Elio and also had plenty of knowledge to pass onto all that asked. If I had to rate this prototype I would give it an 8+ on a 1-10 scale.
I hope this helps you out and I hope I didn't ramble too much. I wanted to give as detailed review as I could for those of you that don't have a chance to see it on the road tour. Pics to follow.

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Great review, and thanks for the awesome pics Husker! You've got a few angles I haven't seen before...I'm feeling fairings for the wishbones coming on! :cool: I could see how moving the seatbelt mount to the right side 'might' be better for getting in and out of the back seat...just use a passenger-side seat belt for the driver. Then again, maybe the receiver part of the seat belt would be a trip hazard, whereas the belt hugs the pillar.

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Great review, Husker1!. Although I have had the opportunity to experience the P4, I still very much enjoyed your description and photos. Those who have not had the opportunity to experience the P4 firsthand will, I'm sure, find your post that much more insightful.
I could envision a tv screen in that with either a view from a camera out the front or even a view of the driver. Or just watch a movie.
What a great concept. A forward facing camera to see the road/ where you are going; a camera facing the driver, and an entertainment option (perhaps smart-phone based). The passenger has the ability to chose which option, with the driver having the ability to turn off the camera facing him/her. This would certainly improve the Elio passenger experience, especially on longer rides (drives?) :)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Great review, Husker1!. Although I have had the opportunity to experience the P4, I still very much enjoyed your description and photos. Those who have not had the opportunity to experience the P4 firsthand will, I'm sure, find your post that much more insightful.

What a great concept. A forward facing camera to see the road/ where you are going; a camera facing the driver, and an entertainment option (perhaps smart-phone based). The passenger has the ability to chose which option, with the driver having the ability to turn off the camera facing him/her. This would certainly improve the Elio passenger experience, especially on longer rides (drives?) :)

We have actually discussed these options over in the 'Happy Wife, Happy Ride" thread and someone posted this picture which I believe would work great along with a forward facing camera:

image-jpg.2461.jpg

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/happy-wife-happy-ride.338/

Top Bottom