• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You guys just have too much time in your hands! :pop2::couch2:
Add me to that list, as well. I was bored this morning and fixed my garbage can. My refuse removal company will give me a new one (for free) when the can splits or cracks, but I wanted to see if I could fix my old one.
Trash_Can.JPG

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
the mold is finished and all waxed up ready to pull a floor from it.
as one who knows literally nothing about this process,

how long does it take to make a floor using a mold like this ..?

is there a limit the number of floors can be made from a single mold ..?

when you set up your production line, how many molds do you anticipate needing .. ?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
how long does it take to make a floor using a mold like this ..?
is there a limit the number of floors can be made from a single mold ..?
Until Mark details it better....

Best I remember from 1980's experiences, for our 'bench-built' cars... (in a part of this size and hand lay-up)
Likely he will have a spray layer of colored surface first, 45 min to prep, spray and clean up the tools etc. Then let that dry, or mostly dry.
Then likely a man hour or two for each layer of glass and resin. I would guess 3-4 layers, surface, fine and roving. Then some time to at least partly harden between each layer.
Possibly followed by a fouth layer, maybe chop/glass in that one. The thicker the more structurally sound.

Of course for non-structural pannels, sometimes only two layers in total, fine cloth followed by either standard or roving or resin/chop mix. Paint afterward. (he will save that original male mold for future female mold making)

For this kind of mold, between a dozen and a few hundred. Depends a lot on the care taken to design and care when separating part from the mold. If a male mold makes 50 female molds, and each female makes 50 parts, that's 2500 parts. By then the design will probably have been updated to a new male mold.

That was also about what it was like at Boeing when I was there up to the 1990's. But there they would finsh by using an autoclave to put it under heat and pressure for a hour or so. (almost never using chop) Mark will likely use Polyester, and Boeing was mostly not polyester, just epoxy and others.

Last edited:
Top Bottom