• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motorcycle Vs. Car

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good for you! I've been wanting to own a motorcycle myself now that I'm retired but the inherent danger of driving a 2 wheeler kept me from owning one. having said that, Elio is not a motorcycle but it's good enough for me!;)

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio refers to the Elio as breakthrough transportation, personal transportation, commuter, or vehicle making no reference to motorcycle or car that I have seen. Same with Lit Motors as they refer to their new breakthrough vehicle as a self balancing 2 wheel car combined with the romance of a motorcycle. I believe Elio and Lit Motors will work out the vehicle classification so no MC endorsement or helmets are required for either of these breakthrough vehicles. It's in their best interest to market and sell vehicles.
It's all well and good to believe kinks will be worked out, but I won't put my money where somebody else's words are until they are.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's all well and good to believe kinks will be worked out, but I won't put my money where somebody else's words are until they are.
upload_2014-5-11_21-59-31.jpeg

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I too see the Elio as a car and have no desire to ride a motorcycle/ get the license. While I am not too concerned about taking the basic course and paying the license fee, I do have concerns about the cost of insurance on a "motorcycle" for someone like me, a 20-something (whenever I get my Elio) with zero experience riding. The Elio is also 900cc. In the eyes of my insurance, while I'm no expert, that is nearly the equivalent of 1000cc sport bikes, a huge liability risk even for experienced riders. Can you say high insurance prices? Though the Elio is nothing like a bike, it is looked at as a high-power bike in the eyes of insurance if it will classified as a motorcycle. For that high cost, I may just keep driving regular cars, something I'd rather not do. If the high insurance costs eat up the money I save in gas, I'll just buy another pickup truck

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I too see the Elio as a car and have no desire to ride a motorcycle/ get the license. While I am not too concerned about taking the basic course and paying the license fee, I do have concerns about the cost of insurance on a "motorcycle" for someone like me, a 20-something (whenever I get my Elio) with zero experience riding. The Elio is also 900cc. In the eyes of my insurance, while I'm no expert, that is nearly the equivalent of 1000cc sport bikes, a huge liability risk even for experienced riders. Can you say high insurance prices? Though the Elio is nothing like a bike, it is looked at as a high-power bike in the eyes of insurance if it will classified as a motorcycle. For that high cost, I may just keep driving regular cars, something I'd rather not do. If the high insurance costs eat up the money I save in gas, I'll just buy another pickup truck

We will have to see what happens as while engine size is a factor the style of motorbike also comes into play when calculating liability as there are plenty of large displacement bikes out there that will never be mistaken for a supersport bike.

Compared to most motorcycles the Elio is inexpensive, not as high performance, and personal injury liability is much reduced so I would think it would actually be cheaper for insurance companies to insure as these factors are some of what they use to determine insurance rates.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree and share your sentiments.......but I have a little money down on 2 enclosed motorcycle concepts............one a self-balancing 2 wheel car! LOL Fortunately Elio has three wheels. I'm old so just in case either or both deliver as promised I'm good to go......kind of like an insurance plan and both deposits are refundable.........I hope.

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We will have to see what happens as while engine size is a factor the style of motorbike also comes into play when calculating liability as there are plenty of large displacement bikes out there that will never be mistaken for a supersport bike.

Compared to most motorcycles the Elio is inexpensive, not a high performance, and personal injury liability is much reduced so I would think it would actually be cheaper for insurance companies to insure as these factors are some of what they use to determine insurance rates.

I hope you're right. Looks like we'll just have to see about this when it gets closer to production, hopefully before I'm asked to put my money where my mouth is and fill out my order form.

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the Elio is classified as a motorcycle, it means that you are not covered in most states for "No Fault" coverage. If you are hit and the other driver runs, you are not covered! Imagine a car crash where you or a family member is hurt and your expenses are not covered. That includes surgery, hospitalization, medication, physician care, etc...

Without classification as a car, I cannot by one. That is the sad truth.

Elio needs to get this vehicle re-classified.

Best,

TOBASH

So ...... carry full coverage and add medical coverage. Still cheaper than auto insurance.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the Elio is classified as a motorcycle, it means that you are not covered in most states for "No Fault" coverage. If you are hit and the other driver runs, you are not covered! Imagine a car crash where you or a family member is hurt and your expenses are not covered. That includes surgery, hospitalization, medication, physician care, etc...

Without classification as a car, I cannot by one. That is the sad truth.

Elio needs to get this vehicle re-classified.

Best,

TOBASH
I lived in Michigan 68-75, It was No Fault then and I think it is still.
The prototypes are made in Michigan, even saw one with a MI tag.
In Michigan you can't drive with out insurance so it must be insured some how.

Top Bottom