• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Morphic Studies

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just adding this rough rip of the CZinger, imagineered with really long swing-up doors.
Only EV drive would fit with tandem seating, but a big battery pack is possible.
1656008825128.png

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know this is a far reach but could you imagine the Munsters Drag-u-la car being made a little more aerodynamic in the front and what it's wind resistance would be? Also picture it as an electric. Single seater, but very narrow. I'm thinking in the future of a box you lay down in that has super low resistance, obviously electric and autonomous. You can take a nap while going somewhere.

Drag-U-La-From-The-Munsters.jpg

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LOL, speaking of which, that was a major complaint from people I've talked with about the idea of Mucho-High Mileage autocycles,
Even something cool like this; (from earlier in this thread: I raised the roof on this image from the origional: California Commuter Car II)
1656086292983.png

Thier complaint is that it would be like sitting in a coffin. Obviously, some people will not go for low and tight, even if it looks cool.
So on anything that looks catagorically like your coffin idea, I guarentee 5 people will love it and even pay top dollar for it.
But that might be about it, depending on the final look, or what attributes hooked them on it.

With autominous vehicles and a person just laying down and blind with no windshield, you could get 500mpg. And that is maybe 1000mpgE in electric.
As always, how many people will go for that? Well, at least 5 (maybe).

The CCII above could reasonably get 400mpg (in competition) with a modified and wheazey 90cc motorcycle engine. Doug Malewicki (or someone like him) made a covered motorcycle for competition and achieved 400mpg with 1980 technology (250cc), so it's do-able. The NSU flying Deck Car from 1955 below, even older engine tech, is much more aerodynamic than Doug's motorcycle with a full fairing was.
1656087699870.png

Link:
NSU pursued the "Flying Deck Chair" project. In May 1956, HP Müller drove an economy test over 65 laps or 500 kilometers (310 miles) at the Hockenheimring at an average speed of 100 km/h (62mph) and consumed only 5.65 liters (1.49 gal) of fuel thanks to the extremely low air resistance. That was 1.13 liters for 100 kilometers (208mpg). This Baumm III had the 125 cc four-stroke engine of the NSU Superfox , was more comfortably equipped and slightly shorter than the Baumm II and Baumm IV, which were designed for maximum speed.

Years later, the x100 Subaru, 100mpg or better, not as much like a coffin, but tight.
1656089587867.png

How many people would buy anything like the vehicles in this posting? Well, at least 5, I guarentee it.

More people would buy a VW L1 tandem at up to 300MPG (@50mph, 250mpg@60mph),
1656089275103.png
But not enough for VW marketing, so they re-made it into a sociable seater, the XL1.
Link:
Dr Ferdinand Piech, drove the prototype (April 2002 - Link) 230 km from Wolfsburg to Hamburg at an average speed of 75 km/h (46mph) using only 2.1 litres of diesel fuel - that's 0.89 litre per 100 km. (112kpl, 264mpg)

I abolutely must add this point about only 5 people loving it. That is the floor. The ceiling looks more like this old story of mine;

In the late 1970's, our collage was hosting a high mileage competition. This was for street legal and licensed 2 or more passenger cars. Ours was expected to hit 100mpg based on prior testing. The end point was at a 7-11 gas station, not far from our school. The driver was standing back by the public area as required while they topped the tank off to measure fuel consumption.

Local people were still trying to get by and use the local retail, when one woman, child in arms, stopped by the driver to gawk at our car.
Seeing the dress of our man, and that he was on the other side of the rope, she says, "What is that"?

Our guy says "It's our entry in this high-gas milage competition." He's thinking that would impress her. But our car was equiped to handle what a Miata would. That is to say, two people and not much more.

She gets a credulous look on her face and her voice matches it saying, "Where would I put my kids or my groceries?"

Without skipping a beat our guy says simply and evenly, "It gets 100 mile per gallon."

One half breath later, with a smooth chrip, she says,"I'll put the kids there, and the groceries there...".

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Look at the air scoops in the rear, I think it's EV maybe RWD could be gas but it's doubtful
Sorry!, I should have been more clear, this is one of my 'morph's from a 4 wheeler I found online. Part of my 'Morphic Studies'. But in this form, this could only provide internal space for EV drive of some form. And of course, I never recommend RWD for a 2F1R layout.

It was too hard to edit out the scoops and still make this seem real. It's not even in the right spot to fan any battery packs. So just consider that they cool the motor controller or something. In fact such things sometimes are included simply to make a vehicle seem super-sport-ish, or break up the monolithic personna of the rear cowling.

While I have slowed down (a lot), I likely will never fully quit 'morphing' until I do see something in real metal to challenge the potential of the 2F1R layout for high efficency commuting. Wouldn't we all like to add a car to our garage that pays for itself? Well, you know, if you live 20+miles down the road from work. :cool:

Last edited:

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LOL, speaking of which, that was a major complaint from people I've talked with about the idea of Mucho-High Mileage autocycles,
Even something cool like this; (from earlier in this thread: I raised the roof on this image from the origional: California Commuter Car II)
View attachment 25829
Thier complaint is that it would be like sitting in a coffin. Obviously, some people will not go for low and tight, even if it looks cool.
So on anything that looks catagorically like your coffin idea, I guarentee 5 people will love it and even pay top dollar for it.
But that might be about it, depending on the final look, or what attributes hooked them on it.

With autominous vehicles and a person just laying down and blind with no windshield, you could get 500mpg. And that is maybe 1000mpgE in electric.
As always, how many people will go for that? Well, at least 5 (maybe).

The CCII above could reasonably get 400mpg (in competition) with a modified and wheazey 90cc motorcycle engine. Doug Malewicki (or someone like him) made a covered motorcycle for competition and achieved 400mpg with 1980 technology (250cc), so it's do-able. The NSU flying Deck Car from 1955 below, even older engine tech, is much more aerodynamic than Doug's motorcycle with a full fairing was.
View attachment 25830
Link:

Years later, the x100 Subaru, 100mpg or better, not as much like a coffin, but tight.
View attachment 25833

How many people would buy anything like the vehicles in this posting? Well, at least 5, I guarentee it.

More people would buy a VW L1 tandem at up to 300MPG (@50mph, 250mpg@60mph),
View attachment 25832 But not enough for VW marketing, so they re-made it into a sociable seater, the XL1.
Link:

I abolutely must add this point about only 5 people loving it. That is the floor. The ceiling looks more like this old story of mine;

In the late 1970's, our collage was hosting a high mileage competition. This was for street legal and licensed 2 or more passenger cars. Ours was expected to hit 100mpg based on prior testing. The end point was at a 7-11 gas station, not far from our school. The driver was standing back by the public area as required while they topped the tank off to measure fuel consumption.

Local people were still trying to get by and use the local retail, when one woman, child in arms, stopped by the driver to gawk at our car.
Seeing the dress of our man, and that he was on the other side of the rope, she says, "What is that"?

Our guy says "It's our entry in this high-gas milage competition." He's thinking that would impress her. But our car was equiped to handle what a Miata would. That is to say, two people and not much more.

She gets a credulous look on her face and her voice matches it saying, "Where would I put my kids or my groceries?"

Without skipping a beat our guy says simply and evenly, "It gets 100 mile per gallon."

One half breath later, with a smooth chrip, she says,"I'll put the kids there, and the groceries there...".
That x100 Subaru reminds me of The Blue Flame.

1665520207130.png

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sooo,
As a hobbie, working on an EV/Tandem styling exercize based loosely on the CZinger.
I am finding the same issue that I always have, how to make the entry accesible?
The trailing volume just after the front wheels provides a nice area for batteries or trunk, but it is always in the way of the driver access.
I either cut it off just after the wheelwell, or clam-shell a large panel. SuperSports cars solve this issue all the time, but there is more distance when the driver is center-line to the vehicle as in a tandem seater. Even worse since being an EV allows the driver to be more forward, and deeper into the larger volume.

1671471982742.png

Top Bottom