• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Momentum V104

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just thought of it being an add on, for people who want a bit of a boost for passing.

Phantom makes an electric supercharger (one that actually works) that is used on Miatas and the BRZ/FR-S twins. It can work with a variable controller or be wired to only come on at full throttle and adds about 50 HP on a 2.0L motor. Figure maybe less than half for the Elio? They are not great for the race track since they can only provide about 1.5 minutes of boost at a time, but would be perfect for merging and passing for a commuter and spirited weekend drives. The "dump pack" batteries recharge off the alternator when boost is not being used. So still not free power, just an extra boost when needed.

Less complex than traditional turbo/supercharger setups, though provides less overall power. Might be something for Elio to consider for the Elio-T if a traditional turbo proves too tight of a fit.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just wondering here... Since the battery is already in back, it would be easy to get power to a simple electric motor back there. I'm thinking a repurposed starter that could be engaged on startup to maybe 10 mph. The battery would obviously be depleted from using it. I wonder how much you could use it. Let's say you set up the starter to engage on throttle press till either 10mph, 10 seconds, or throttle lift. If you installed a simple plug through... say behind the license plate, you could charge the battery at home. It would be like a mild hybrid that uses a traction motor in place of an alternator. Hmm... How to get the power to the rear tire though. Maybe it'd just be easier to put in a switch to engage the actual starter to power the front wheels from stop to... however fast the starter can make the thing go in first gear.

Of course, the juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze but it would be fun doing the mod.

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With this familiar tangent back toward the technical feasibility of possible electric hub motors or similar setups for the rear wheel - which this forum has dived into before - the mention of burning up a starter/generator got me thinking:

Elio's chief fuel economy claim is its EPA estimate of 84 mpg on the highway. While the estimated 49 mpg city is nothing to squawk at, I wonder what's technically involved in incorporating electronic engine auto start/stop technology in order to improve it further.

I recently rented a 2017 Chevy Cruze with said technology, and obviously the OEM packaging included a unique tachometer gauge on the instrument cluster that clearly indicated when the engine was turned off when stopped at a red light with the brake pedal fully depressed. But that sort of nicety isn't really necessary since it's apparent when the ICE is shut off and comes back to life when pressure is released from the brake pedal.

Technically speaking, I assume a more robust or specialized starter/generator and some type of computerized controller(s) and brake position sensors are required; does anyone know what would be involved in adding engine start/stop technology to a vehicle not pre-packaged by an OEM to offer such a feature?

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With this familiar tangent back toward the technical feasibility of possible electric hub motors or similar setups for the rear wheel - which this forum has dived into before - the mention of burning up a starter/generator got me thinking:

Elio's chief fuel economy claim is its EPA estimate of 84 mpg on the highway. While the estimated 49 mpg city is nothing to squawk at, I wonder what's technically involved in incorporating electronic engine auto start/stop technology in order to improve it further.

I recently rented a 2017 Chevy Cruze with said technology, and obviously the OEM packaging included a unique tachometer gauge on the instrument cluster that clearly indicated when the engine was turned off when stopped at a red light with the brake pedal fully depressed. But that sort of nicety isn't really necessary since it's apparent when the ICE is shut off and comes back to life when pressure is released from the brake pedal.

Technically speaking, I assume a more robust or specialized starter/generator and some type of computerized controller(s) and brake position sensors are required; does anyone know what would be involved in adding engine start/stop technology to a vehicle not pre-packaged by an OEM to offer such a feature?
Apparently all you need is OBDII, a supported vehicle model, and about $100 a year (from what I could quickly scan).

http://voyomotive.com/voyo-with-eco-start/

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently all you need is OBDII, a supported vehicle model, and about $100 a year (from what I could quickly scan).

http://voyomotive.com/voyo-with-eco-start/
ODB ll = On Board Diagnostic 2 port; if your car is after about 1997 (or a little earlier) your covered (in other words you've got one in your car if it was built on or after 1997) , but what's the $100.00 a year for/from? And something about that just sounds wrong; Floydv, maybe you should go reread that article, there's something you missed, or misunderstood.

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I found this on their faq page
What App features are included? What is Premium Pack? VOYO provides a wide array of Standard features with the purchase of the device including: Lock/unlock of doors and trunk, Vehicle Network (create and manage a network of vehicles from a single Dashboard screen), Diagnostics, Aware Alerts, Vehicle Locator, Driving Log, Alert Notifications, Social Media Integration. With purchase of Voyomotive relays, additional Standard features include Immobilizer, Stop@Park, EcoStart.

Premium Pack Services include: AutoKey, AutoTrunk, AutoStop, AutoMobilize, Immobilizer Clock, Advanced Diagnostics. Premium Pack Services are available on a trial basis for 30 days after which an annual subscription is required.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ODB ll = On Board Diagnostic 2 port; if your car is after about 1997 (or a little earlier) your covered (in other words you've got one in your car if it was built on or after 1997) , but what's the $100.00 a year for/from? And something about that just sounds wrong; Floydv, maybe you should go reread that article, there's something you missed, or misunderstood.
I thought I read that the $100/year is for storing data on the cloud and analytics on the data, the idea being that you're paying for them to tell you when you're most likely to need start/stop on your commute; your gas savings, if any; etc. Like I said, I just read it quickly, so maybe I misunderstood. I just wanted to point out what sounded like an interesting non-hardware start/stop application, in response to a prior post, and left it to the reader to get more details.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My two cents. I actually like the fact the weekly feedbacks are focusing on the "nuts and bolts" Elio is comprised of. The changes and modifications are positive and forward moving changes. I love the idea we're getting a peek at the "grease under your nails" stuff.
I actually wish they'd have been including more of it all along!
GO ELIO!!!!

Top Bottom