• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Metal...body?

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I haven't had any rust problems in any of my vehicles since the 1965 Mustang. If you see any Saturn Vue's or Saturn Ski's on the road, look at all the space between panels. Apparently, the plastic expands and contracts more than its steel equivalent so bigger spaces are necessary. Steel panels should help make the Elio look more like a "Real" car. I'm happy to see they are going with steel. It'll mean for cheaper dent repair if needed!

I wonder if the Saturn's issues were more because of the price point? I do not recall gap issues with my father-in-law's C5 and C6 Corvettes.

But I understand the change to steel and have no problem with it. I was looking forward to the ding resistance of SMC, but I will just continue parking waaaaaay out and pass up the rockstar spots as usual.

Gregw

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If my understanding of a uni-body car is correct, all of the parts work together to create the overall stiffness and strength, frame and body panels. On a tubular frame the body panels do not add to the overall strength, the frame has to do all the work. A uni-body car should be stiffer and less likely to have parts rattle if they are part of the structure.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if the rolls of steel for making the panels will come from India.
I hope they've found a small mill that's barely surviving in this country and are sourcing the steel through this plant -- job creations, American made, etc. Specialty steel is about all there is left now in the USA.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope they've found a small mill that's barely surviving in this country and are sourcing the steel through this plant -- job creations, American made, etc. Specialty steel is about all there is left now in the USA.
I know this isn't the right topic but I'd be willing to pay more for my steel if I had a choice between American and "other" steel.

Top Bottom