• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Lowering The Price Of Cars: An Article.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The Elio immediately came to mind when I read this article about why cars cost more. At least it's thought provoking. But the neat thing about Elio is that it meets safety standards and still costs less.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/2015/01/eric-peters/no-airbags-

Nice article that does make you think and does relate quite well to what Elio Motors is trying to do. Through their vehicles' classification as motorcycle Elio Motors has found a way to greatly reduce the amount of government regulations it must adhere to which allows them the flexibility to offer an ultra inexpensive and fuel efficient vehicle. The realities of the market are also what is driving EM to make this vehicle as safe as possible as in order to sell these vehicles Elio Motors is competing with more expensive new cars and comparably priced used cars which are all equipped with the government mandated safety features.

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thought provoking, but I'm not sure that government mandates are really the leading cause of price increases. The government certainly hasn't mandated that cars keep getting bigger yet that keeps happening as well. I remember parking my 91 Camry next to a friend's 04 Corolla and discovering that they were pretty much the same size car.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Thanks for sharing, NewWorld.

As I read the article, one question popped up: in reference to govt mandates for good mpg and safety, the article says "... it’s hard to make a 'safe' car that also gets good mileage". Why does the author say this? Is this just a consequence to all of the govt mandates?

And sho' nuff, it is easy for us to relate... the Elio is coming close to doing what the author states. Safe AND amazing mpg for a commuter car (autocycle).

We can look into the crystal ball, and make a guess that the govt will get involved eventually and force autocycles to have mandated safety features, which will push the price up for an autocycle.

Reality hits me, looking at the authors supposition... "if" for some reason, vehicles in the future could be built and sold with no govt mandated safety features, it would only take one accident where people were severely injured, or killed, and you know the media would be all over it... and the people would have had only minor injuries, or not killed, if they'd been in a vehicle that had all the mandated safety features. It seems like the market for no-safety-feature cars, or maybe very few safety features, would drop to virtually zero. Hard to say, I guess. :)

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score

We can look into the crystal ball, and make a guess that the govt will get involved eventually and force autocycles to have mandated safety features, which will push the price up for an autocycle................. :)
Just remember the saying "I'm from the government and I'm here to help". Never works that way and we can all cite examples of government action at its best - Wanna buy a $700 hammer?

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So I ask myself who is charging so much for this stuff why It seems it is the do no wrong business man... does this type of pap have a place here?

Top Bottom