• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

It's A Car In Ohio

Buckeyejake

Elio Addict
Reaction score
About two weeks ago I sent an e-mail to our State Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Yesterday I received notification that the Elio would be registered and titled as a car in the state of Ohio.

The bureau did not even know about this vehicle. They researched the Elio online and called me back with their conclusion. I will be asking them to provide written documentation as to their decision.

Will keep everyone posted as I learn more.

Maybe everyone else should contact their state's motor vehicle control department now to resolve possible issues in the future.

Last edited:

RickDeckard

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Don't think so ... it will have a MC vin. You can't trust these peoples judgment until the vehicle comes out ... they don't do well with future guesses and the people you talk to are low end of the food chain that don't make decisions ... Their SWAG is exactly that

RickDeckard

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I received something from Joel in the legal dept. over at Elio Motors... This may be posted on the Elio Motors Forums... It would be better to reference one of these places than fully republishingthis on the FB forum. Elio Motors will be making similar information available on their sites in the future ... some of this is directed at Florida because of Palmers (Florida DMV) view point that RogerWildermuth posted... but can readily be adapted to other state motor-vehicle divisions .... Please use discretion with Joel's email and phone number giving it to the DMV when needed but not for general use...

Joel just replied. He said this would be a good way to respond...

NHTSA will certify the Elio only as a motorcycle since it meets the their
definition as a motorcycle (has 3 wheels in contact with the ground). FL will
not register a vehicle with a Certificate of Origin stating it’s a “motorcycle”
as an “automobile” It isn’t possible to register the Elio as an automobile in
FL or any other state since states require NHTSA certification as an automobile
before registration. The Elio will only be certified as a motorcycle.. so how
could it then be certified as an automobile since it isn’t certified by NHTSA
as an automobile? Bottom line, if they did that they would be taking great
liberty of changing a federal definition (and I don’t think that’s possible by
a state IMO) At any rate, FL DMV would have a lot of very angry people who
couldn't get their Elios registered or drive them in FL.

So here are some points to keep up front:
1) NHTSA will not certify as an automobile, so the FL won’t be able to
register the vehicle as an automobile.
2) The only other state’s DMV that thinks they will handle as an automobile
is KS( which I am working with). VT has legislation ready to go and will drop
this session(previously considered an automobile). So FL will definitely create
serious problems for Floridians, not to mention the tons of tourists by
attempting to classify as an automobile.
3) AAMVA “strongly suggests that only a regular driver’s license be required
and that states register as “autocycles” ( an autocycle is a motorcycle with 3
wheels in contact with the ground, automotive controls with seatbelts and fully
enclosed. They didn’t address the helmet issue) for consistency between states…
the overwhelming majority that classify the Elio as a motorcycle.
4) FL DMV does not have the statutory authority to change statute without a
successful vote of the legislature. This is what FL statute actually says: the
Elio is a Tri-vehicle (all characteristics of which we have):
5) 46)“Tri-vehicle” means an enclosed three-wheeled passenger vehicle that:
6) (a)Is designed to operate with three wheels in contact with the ground;
7) (b)Has a minimum unladen weight of 900 pounds;
8)Has a single, completely enclosed, occupant compartment;
9) (d)Is produced in a minimum quantity of 300 in any calendar year;
10) (e)Is capable of a speed greater than 60 miles per hour on level ground;
and
11) (f)Is equipped with:
12) 1.Seats that are certified by the vehicle manufacturer to meet the
requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 207, “Seating
systems” (49 C.F.R. s. 571.207);
13) 2.A steering wheel used to maneuver the vehicle;
14) 3.A propulsion unit located forward or aft of the enclosed occupant
compartment;
15) 4.A seat belt for each vehicle occupant certified to meet the
requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 209, “Seat belt
assemblies” (49 C.F.R. s. 571.209);
16) 5.A windshield and an appropriate windshield wiper and washer system
that are certified by the vehicle manufacturer to meet the requirements of
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205, “Glazing Materials” (49 C.F.R.
s. 571.205) and Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 104, “Windshield
Wiping and Washing Systems” (49 C.F.R. s. 571.104); and
17) 6.A vehicle structure certified by the vehicle manufacturer to meet the
requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 216, “Rollover crush
resistance” (49 C.F.R. s. 571.216).

People should certainly offer Joel's contact information to help DMV through
this issue.
His email address is jsheltrown@eliomotors.com and his mobile phone
number is 989.387.7551

Thanks for all of the help!!
The Elio Motors Team

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
About two weeks ago I sent an e-mail to our State Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Yesterday I received notification that the Elio would be registered and titled as a car in the state of Ohio.

The bureau did not even know about this vehicle. They researched the Elio online and called me back with their conclusion. I will be asking them to provide written documentation as to their decision.

Maybe everyone else should contact their state's motor vehicle control department now to resolve possible issues in the future.
That is a great idea. I suspect most states will take the "it's a car route" because it will be easier than coming up with a new category and it really is not a motorcycle. You ride a motorcycle; you drive a car. I don't know about everyone else but I will definitely drive my Elio. Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I checked out DMVs for Oregon and Washington state on line. In both states if it is enclosed, has 3 wheels on the ground at all time (well at least with most drivers :-)) it is a motorcycle but does NOT require a MC endorsement or helmet. I also tried to check out Idaho and Nevada but their web sites were so confusing as to be meaningless. I like doing research so I will keep checking various state regulations as I can. Z

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I checked out DMVs for Oregon and Washington state on line. In both states if it is enclosed, has 3 wheels on the ground at all time (well at least with most drivers :)) it is a motorcycle but does NOT require a MC endorsement or helmet. I also tried to check out Idaho and Nevada but their web sites were so confusing as to be meaningless. I like doing research so I will keep checking various state regulations as I can. Z
Great work, Zelio. Since you like doing research, please check on Georgia for me. I have a vested interest there. :) Thanks

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Great work, Zelio. Since you like doing research, please check on Georgia for me. I have a vested interest there. :) Thanks
Hi Zipper. I spent 30 minutes looking for information on the Georgia equivalent of the DMV. Nada or nothing. The only reference was to a 3 wheel motorcycle not an enclosed 3 wheel vehicle. So I asked a question on the online form they provided and will let you know the results if/when they respond. Sorry I wasn't able to do better than that for you. Hopefully the fact that the Elio has been shown in Georgia will help in this quest and there are people who already have "All In" numbers there. I even gave them my address, email address and phone number so they can contact me. Thanks for asking. I wish us both luck. :-) Z

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi Zipper. I spent 30 minutes looking for information on the Georgia equivalent of the DMV. Nada or nothing. The only reference was to a 3 wheel motorcycle not an enclosed 3 wheel vehicle. So I asked a question on the online form they provided and will let you know the results if/when they respond. Sorry I wasn't able to do better than that for you. Hopefully the fact that the Elio has been shown in Georgia will help in this quest and there are people who already have "All In" numbers there. I even gave them my address, email address and phone number so they can contact me. Thanks for asking. I wish us both luck. :) Z
Hey, thanks for the effort. I expect "All In" numbers in GA and elsewhere to spike next week during and after the visit to Savannah. People go to Savannah from all over to celebrate St. Patrick's day.

Top Bottom