• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is Your Car Spying On You?

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This popped up on my Facebook feed the other day, and it's something worth thinking about. I don't use my smartphone for navigation, and I keep the route tracking on the Garmin GPS I use turned off. Our daily drivers are a 2007 Honda Fit and a 2006 Toyota Matrix; no electronics beyond the ECU on either of them...

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20160809-your-car-is-not-your-friend

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
This popped up on my Facebook feed the other day, and it's something worth thinking about. I don't use my smartphone for navigation, and I keep the route tracking on the Garmin GPS I use turned off. Our daily drivers are a 2007 Honda Fit and a 2006 Toyota Matrix; no electronics beyond the ECU on either of them...

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20160809-your-car-is-not-your-friend
Notice it was posted by BBC Autos You might want to consider that also; UK does things a little different than we do.

And I've been aware that your car can and will broadcast a lot of information for a long time.

FC

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From what I have read on the Elio, a stock version should be fairly spyware free. I like that.
They do offer the options for people that insist on getting snooped on, infinite skyz comes to mind.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
From what I have read on the Elio, a stock version should be fairly spyware free. I like that.
They do offer the options for people that insist on getting snooped on, infinite skyz comes to mind.
With as small as they make electronics now; your ECM or BCM can carry the correct parts to track your vehicle.
How many people didn't know that they've been carrying a "black box" ever since they started putting airbags in cars?

There are probably many things we interact with that can track what you do; and old TV repairman showed me how a CRT TV also acts as an excellent camera; how many people knew that? With cable and satellite it makes a great 2 way communication device. No telling what they can do with flat screens. But there is no real need to track what "regular" people do day to day; do you realize how much data they have collected and are collecting on a regular basis? No one person or team of people could possible read over a days worth of data, it's much to large to do.
It's when you do something <ahem> "Special" that would raise the Red Flags and turn you into a "Person of Interest" for them to go over your daily data.

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What a lot of ppl seem to forget is that anyone that uses a smartphone is being spied on already.

So many ppl cry about losing their civil liberties yet they use smartphones and Facebook or other social media without realizing that any search or call or question asked of Siri (IPHONE) is all recorded and saved for an undisclosed period of time.

So I for one have no issues with using any Navigator program or App, since even though any prying us may see where I might be (no different than having your cell phone or smartphone with me) know one will track what I am searching for or asking questions about other than where I am and where I am going.

Edited: Siri not Silvina... I do not use Iphone..LOL:rolleyes:

Also corrected some typos cause I was using my Smartphone to post this previously (Fat Fingers)

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
What a lot of ppl seem to forget is that anyone that uses a smartphone is being is being spied on already.

So many ppl cry about losing their civil liberties yet they use smartphones and Facebook or other social media without realizing that any search or call or question asked of Silvina (IPHONE) is all recorded and saved for an undisclosed period of time.

So I for one have no issues with using any Navigato program ir App, since even though any prying us may see where I might be (no different than having your cell phone or smartphone with me) know one will track what I am searching for or asking questions about other than where I am and where I am going.
Good attitude :thumb: I'm pretty much the same way (but I don't do Social Media at ALL (well, except for here, and um 10 or 20 other forum sites over the years); Just no Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, My Space etc.. :p

Injunjoe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is there a black box requirement for autocycles? Hope not. Another reason for Paul to put only open source software in the Elio. Then we can choose what we want it to do!

Top Bottom