• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is The Cam Drive Belt Or Chain?

XanWolf

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Can I do a little reminder here? The Elio you're getting is a NEW vehicle; not something you're going to have to work on for some time.

There are some people, like myself, who like to buy things which are well made because we plan on keeping it for a long time. We also know that some things will need to be replaced. How easy it will be to maintain is a valid line of questions. Too often, cars are build in such a way that you have to go through hours of setup just to change the spark plugs.....

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
There are some people, like myself, who like to buy things which are well made because we plan on keeping it for a long time. We also know that some things will need to be replaced. How easy it will be to maintain is a valid line of questions. Too often, cars are build in such a way that you have to go through hours of setup just to change the spark plugs.....
From the layout of the Elio engine compartment, and everything you would work on is right out in the open; it's a simple design, and very basic; unlike most new cars that when you open the hood, you can't see the motor, and the little stickers that say "No Owner Serviceable Parts"

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The dry teeth for timing belts wear, just like the teeth on the gears of an oil bathed timing chain. "If" the teeth for the belt wear smooth enough on either edge, the belt could/will slip. With todays interference motors, it probably would be fatal.

2barrel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Had a Honda with a timing belt change recommendation of 80K . It let go at 82K and wiped all the valves. Poor timing on my part. Haven't had much appreciation for interference engines since. They say the engineers know best but do not believe it from much of the engineering I have experienced fixing cars over the last 50 years.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Had a Honda with a timing belt change recommendation of 80K . It let go at 82K and wiped all the valves. Poor timing on my part. Haven't had much appreciation for interference engines since. They say the engineers know best but do not believe it from much of the engineering I have experienced fixing cars over the last 50 years.
There's your problem, it wasn't a 50 year old car. :p

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score

As an engineer I'm a bit offended by this, and you definitely don't understand how much influence the engineer has in what you ultimately get. The engineers actually DO know best. However, often the economics and other trade-offs get in the way of what engineers would like the customer to see. I live this every day.

Remember the space shuttle Challenger? The engineers responsible for the mating joints in the solid rocket boosters begged NASA to postpone the launch until a warmer morning. Management overruled them, and on January 28th, 1986 we got to watch seven people die on live TV.

Top Bottom