• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Think I Finally Found The Fabled '$1,000' Profit Per Autocycle Sold Claim...

Gene Towle

Reaction score
Not a new member. Been all in Spence around 2014. Was a $100 member years before that. My SPL is like 17078. Should be getting my Elio anytime. And I do mean ANYTIME.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It’s getting towards the end of 2019. Maybe the end of 2020. ETC !!!!!!!
Elio has been saying this:
The production date is estimated to be 76 weeks from the timely and successful completion of our current and subsequent fundraising efforts. The timing and availability of the funds can move and we will do everything we can to keep the project moving forward by utilizing each piece of funding received, as we receive it. Thank you for your support.
That's been the company line at least the last 38 weeks. So if Elio gets full funding today, that means Elio #1 rolls off the assembly line on January 14, 2021. The key word is "full" when it comes to funding and as to the 76 weeks. It will never happen in 2020. Now all you can do is hope for 2021.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Plus, the cost to build the Elio is only $4388.

As for the profit, since Elio was going to price it at $5969 and make $1K. That means at $7450 they will make $2481 per unit and at 250K units that's $620,500,000 in profit per year before we add into the profit of the accessories. With that at 20% and lets say people only get $1K in accessories on average, that's $200 profit per unit and that means $50,000,000. The grand total of Elio profit per year is $670,500,000. Elio only needs $411M. Any investor that gives them that money will get a return on their investment 18 months into production. Then after that, they could rake in a half a billion the next year and leave the rest to Elio. After that Elio can keep the rest.

Anyone out there want to make half a billion dollars?
Paul said the Elio would remain with $1,000 profit. They raised the price to pay for other parts as they figured out how expensive it was going to be. The profit, of course, is above all the expenses including the stores, warranty, etc.

Samuel Gompers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio has been saying this:
That's been the company line at least the last 338 weeks. So if Elio gets full funding today, that means Elio #1 rolls off the assembly line on January 14, 2021. The key word is "full" when it comes to funding and as to the 76 weeks. It will never happen in 2020. Now all you can do is hope for 2021.
FTFY Since January 3, 2013 the one reliable constant has been that Elio is 18 months away from production. It's not quite to the universal constant level of c, e, and h, but it's close.

Hawk521

Elio Fan
Reaction score
It would appear to me that the $1000 profit on the first batch of Elios sold is self apparent and without dispute. The second batch will have a profit of exactly $100 per vehicle Beyond that there will be no other Elios to account for.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Plus, the cost to build the Elio is only $4388.

As for the profit, since Elio was going to price it at $5969 and make $1K. That means at $7450 they will make $2481 per unit and at 250K units that's $620,500,000 in profit per year before we add into the profit of the accessories. With that at 20% and lets say people only get $1K in accessories on average, that's $200 profit per unit and that means $50,000,000. The grand total of Elio profit per year is $670,500,000. Elio only needs $411M. Any investor that gives them that money will get a return on their investment 18 months into production. Then after that, they could rake in a half a billion the next year and leave the rest to Elio. After that Elio can keep the rest.

Anyone out there want to make half a billion dollars?
I know you are being tongue in cheek there but Paul didn't raise the price to make more profit. They raised it as they priced out other parts. The cost to me of an Elio is basically parts + $1,000. As the cost of parts go up, so too should the price of an Elio. Of course, if we locked in prices, we should be protected against inflation. I locked in my price in 2013 or 2014 so the inflation of the last 3 years (plus any hit that sanctions will have on raw materials) shouldn't come into play. I just hope Paul get this sorted out before inflation kills everything.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know you are being tongue in cheek there but Paul didn't raise the price to make more profit. They raised it as they priced out other parts. The cost to me of an Elio is basically parts + $1,000. As the cost of parts go up, so too should the price of an Elio. Of course, if we locked in prices, we should be protected against inflation. I locked in my price in 2013 or 2014 so the inflation of the last 3 years (plus any hit that sanctions will have on raw materials) shouldn't come into play. I just hope Paul get this sorted out before inflation kills everything.
From what I can find in the archives, the Elio was priced at $6,800 back in January, 2013. So I ask, when did the Elio cost around the $5,900 mark? Because I can't find it. I see a bunch of generic numbers but no set price until January 2013. Even on the CNBC piece back in January, it was $6,800. So by inflation and using January 2013 as the $6,800 point, then then $5,969 spreadsheet we are looking at had to of come out back in 2007. Then with $6,800 being the price in 2013, that would mean, $7,490 today and $7,790 in 2021. Then this is not counting the USMCA fee and the trade war going on right now.

In the end, we are using a $1K profit margin that was calculated back in 2007. That's 14 years from when the Elio will go into production. Other things have changed since then and I wonder if just cherry picking the $1K profit margin is correct too. It was to be a composite body, tube frame car with a specific Elio engine. Yet those have been ditched even though they were taken as fact for many years. Then there was the claim it was all privately funded, going to be built by June 2014 then exported by the end of the decade. So do we keep that $1K profit margin alive and use it to show each other that the company will have a ROI in 2 years? I don't know about you but just glossing over numbers is what gets you in trouble financially. This is not what any of us want's for Elio. The nightmare would be for them to get to about 20K units and shut the doors.

lookin

Elio Fan
Reaction score
If the vehicle production cost was really $10k, they wouldn't have locked in so many reservations at the $7300 mark. With inflation and redesigns, they may not have much margin left on those, but I think they should still be able to get $3k profit per Elio around a $10k base price.

That $1000 was the $1000 that I sent him.:D

Top Bottom