• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Have Given Up On Elio, Have You?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Use Premium instead of regular, that helped me get the 84 (actually 87 if you don't smoke it at start) drive it like an old lady, you'll get the 84+
I know it worked for me.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Give me a day or two, I'll have to talk to the powers that be, because I'm not supposed to make it publicly known, I got one for development.
And I'm not supposed to post pics, people would get a little pissy because I got one, and no one else did. So it's one of those hush-hush things.
I'll probably get in trouble for even saying anything on here.

Scott Berridge

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Part of the attraction to the Elio for me was it looked like a fun car to drive around town for errands and such and for short hops to nearby towns like Lawrence, KS, and Kansas City. Plus I am attracted to unusual, quirky cars. I've started looking for something to drive so I can park my 2002 Chevy Avalanche except for when I need the haul capacity. Thinking of something like a used Mini Cooper, Fiat 500, PT Cruiser, Chevy HHR, something along those lines. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Part of the attraction to the Elio for me was it looked like a fun car to drive around town for errands and such and for short hops to nearby towns like Lawrence, KS, and Kansas City. Plus I am attracted to unusual, quirky cars. I've started looking for something to drive so I can park my 2002 Chevy Avalanche except for when I need the haul capacity. Thinking of something like a used Mini Cooper, Fiat 500, PT Cruiser, Chevy HHR, something along those lines. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Go old school. Buy an older used vehicle and have it converted to electric. Something like a VW Bug? I see conversion cost $7k to $20K plus vehicle cost.

https://electrek.co/guides/ev-conversion/

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My son used to drive a Mini (I think it was a 2008) and bought a Fiat 500 Abarth a few years ago. The Abarth is a blast to drive but it is pretty loud. Seems that Fiat got away with having no mufflers on it at all. It only has a catalyst right off the turbo. His is a 2014 and one of the first automatic versions built. He tried a manual but he thought it didn't shift very well. The automatic can be run in manual mode and honestly, it's impressive. Even autoblips on downshift. If you run it up close to redline and shift it, it backfires pretty loud. He did wear the first set of tires out on it in about 10K. So he was having too much fun. Other than that, it has not had a single problem.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The turbo softens and directs the sound waves/gas flow in one direction so there is less noise.
Backfiring when red line shifting indicated the mixture is too rich. The cat is igniting the rich mixture in the exhaust system at that time..
I assume he also has a BOV valve on the turbo?

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score

If you want something unusual and quirky buy a Mitsubishi i-Miev.

The one I linked to is only $5400, and located in IL. It might take you 2 weeks to drive it home...but you have to admit it's different!

Top Bottom