• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

How Much Angst Has The Waiting For Your Elio Caused?

jdkeats

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What is a 1985 Booruu ?
subaru-leone-station-wagon-1985-7619929.jpg

just a picture of this beast makes my skin crawl

I always wanted to get a belly mower for this car since it had most of the attributes of my lawn tractor

Last edited:

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I must say that one of my first vehicles when I got of the Navy was a '87 Subaru DL Wagon...one of the most dependable cars I've ever owned. Kind of like the old Brat body. Unstoppable in the snow, I lived in Arvada, CO at the time, and tried. I only bought the SVX to pull the engine and stick it in one of my Porsches because it's basically a Japanese version of a 20k Porsche engine, but ended up liking it so much I couldn't send it to the crusher. Very cool car. Great engineering, but you've got to have a good set of tools (all metric...which is a pleasure, considering I need SAE and metric to work on any of my Jeeps). I've got nothing bad to say about Subys.:car:

I stand corrected. After seeing the '85 in the picture I realized mine was an older version. Probably an '84. It had an extra high-beam light that would flip up on the center of the grill.

jdkeats

Elio Addict
Reaction score
yes, with Booroo's reputation of reliability and handling in bad weather and the most economical AWD ever made How could I go wrong?
I got rid of a 1985 lifted Ramcharger that ate u-joints like potato chips and got about 8 mpg.
Well I did go wrong. Car got about 15 mpg (better than 8) My monster Suburban got 15
and the oil leaks were like a wack-a-mole game, fix one 2 pop up.
a/c would not let the car go up hills very fast. It left me stranded at least 4 times (not from oil leak). Walking home on a highway from the last breakdown I had lots of time to think about how this story should end. a crusher? a bonfire? over a cliff? .......no just let a dealer pawn this POS on some unsuspecting victim.

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No angst because I expected delays but irritation because I thought Elio's actions have helped feed the trolls. Negativity and schadenfreude will always exist on the internet (as I've linked to for Tesla), but I think it is stronger now than it would otherwise be if it weren't for Elio's handling of things (overpromising?) in 2014.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
yes, with Booroo's reputation of reliability and handling in bad weather and the most economical AWD ever made How could I go wrong?
I got rid of a 1985 lifted Ramcharger that ate u-joints like potato chips and got about 8 mpg.
Well I did go wrong. Car got about 15 mpg (better than 8) My monster Suburban got 15
and the oil leaks were like a wack-a-mole game, fix one 2 pop up.
a/c would not let the car go up hills very fast. It left me stranded at least 4 times (not from oil leak). Walking home on a highway from the last breakdown I had lots of time to think about how this story should end. a crusher? a bonfire? over a cliff? .......no just let a dealer pawn this POS on some unsuspecting victim.

Yikes! You got a lemon my friend! My '92 gets 25 mpg, A/C blasting and my cruise set at 80 mph (any slower and you're getting flipped off by everybody on the highway), and it has the biggest engine Suby ever made, 3.3L flat-6. Sure, I've got to pull the tranny, but I guess 23 years isn't too bad for seals and gaskets.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahh you're all soft; I was a dealership mechanic for a Subaru / Lotus Dealer; I was there because I was Lotus certified, but when the shop was slow, I was a Subaru mechanic. They were selling the GL's at the time <here's a pic>
74 Soob gl.png

What a sweetheart huh? 1400 flat 4 with a whopping 62hp driving the front wheels.
And talk about a joy to work on, how's this?
Fl motor.jpg

It's in there somewhere.

But the dealership had also bought a bulk load of 360's; like 50 of them (sedans, pickups and vans) all nicely coated in cosmoline. We had to remove the cosmo and then get them to run. We even had a 360 pickup that we used as a shop truck. Here's an original high mileage, small engine, 4 seater <cough cough> that would go anywhere; even if sometimes that meant picking it up and moving it.
Here's a couple of pics if you don't know what they look like
Soob Sedan.jpg

Soob 360 PU.jpg

(You should see the cab when two big guys jump in

I have strange cars in my blood <in more than one way> and always have faith in them.
Plus after we sold all 50 of the Soobs we had, I know there are others just like me. :becky:

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
THE SUBARU BOXER FOUR STARTED OUT AS THE GOLIATH 1100 IN GERMANY .
WATER COOLED FRONT ENGINE , FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
( THIS IS NOT THE MOTOR FOUND IN MY GOLIATH 3 WHEEL TRUCK )

GOLIATH WENT UNDER IN 1961 AND THE ASSETS OF THE COMPANY WERE LATER SOLD OFF .
FUJI HEAVY INDUSTRIES , THE PARENT Co. OF SUBARU BOUGHT THE RIGHTS TO THE 1100 MOTOR .

SURE SEEMS TO HAVE SERVED THEM WELL . HERE ARE THE SEDAN , SPORT & TRUCK VERSIONS .

F-1957-GP1100Motor.jpg
F-1957-GP1100Motor-55PS.jpg
F-1957-Express1100Motor.jpg

A PARALLEL STORY CAN BE TOLD OF THE NSU ROTARY ENGINE GOING TO MAZDA

roadtrippin2016

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I have tried to put it out of my mind and not really pay much attention to delays.
I do have to make decisions based on my current needs and now I find myself in need of a new or newer car.
What am I to do?
I am making decisions right now based on not getting an Elio.
That is not my want nor what I want to believe, but that is my reality.
How are the rest of you fairing on these types of decisions?

P.S. the anti Elio crowd does not need to weigh in on this. Only want to hear from those that have some skin into the game.
Here's the SCOOP !!....Almost everyone that has "All In" money on the line want their Elio A.S.A.P....Right ? I'm no exception and waiting has got me being on the Elio website in the beginning every day...keeping up with all the lastest news...waiting patiently for the tour to come to Texas ! I got elioowners.com burnout...especially, when I heard production date would be post-poned til mid-2016 !.....I have since had to realize that checking daily was driving me nuts...people around me got tired of me talking about it. I now am on a savings plan to purchase my Elio in July - Sept. production schedule....If for some reason they have NOT hired the 1500+ plant workers needed May - June 2016...then odds are there will be NO PRODUCTION in mid 2016...( Very sadly ) I'll cut my losses and use my cash saved and buy a turbo-charged VW Sportswagon...I don't want to wait much longer on Elio...I need transportation !...been without car since 2013...gotta pay more for gas....just sayin'

Top Bottom