• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

How About A Different Green Alternative Hybrid - Return To The Roots

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think you're crazy at all, I have the exact same idea.
well so did i. i started to build an EMC a few years back and ran into a problem with dmv titeling a salvage frame, so dropped the project. still have the motors and controllers though. hub motors were only available for bicycles then but now they come in all different sizes and wattages. there are several scooters on the market now that us the hub motor for the drive sysem. the choice i would go with is the 3 phase version instead of the brushed dc version. the real magic takes place in the controller, as far as power, braking, recharging and free wheeling. because of the limited space available on the elio, i can't find a place where the batteries would go without changing the current lay out and increasing the empty weight. if the rear wheel were needed for extra traction and propulsion, maybe a hydraulic motor in the hub, run by a pump off the engine with a magnatic clutch, to minimize drag and not interfeir with hwy economy. any of this would never fall under the advertised price of the car and in fact, would add at least a couple of thousand to it.

Top Bottom