• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hot Off The Press: Intent To Manufacture Engines Signed With Linamar

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The thing is, this is a pretty heavy engine for the HP output, when compared to most aircraft engines. There might be an application (particularly with a turbo) but we'll just have to wait and see.
The engine would definitely need a turbo to make it competitive, esp. since the weight is probably high for that application. Let's see what EM says about the engine weight.

I personally think the engine would do great for marine and small truck applications (though small marine engines tend to be diesels these days).
Lots of little trucks -- the French call them "camionettes" -- bopping all over the 3rd world and Europe. Could sell a ton of EM engines into that market -- which is probably why Linamar liked the partnership.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rotax vs. Geo Metro (Suzuki) 3-banger

Those interested may find this thread really informative. Of course, the elio engine has better power-to-weight, fuel consumption,and torque rating than the Metro mill. Looks like the Elio competitive version would be thousands of $ less than the Rotax.

Link below:
Light weight low cost four stroke engines, good Rotax replacements. - Rotary Wing Forum
That was interesting. That forum may be talking about Elio engines some day soon.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That was interesting. That forum may be talking about Elio engines some day soon.
I may be one of the talkers, since I know I'm not the only ElioOwner who is also on the Rotary Wing Forum :D

That linked thread is interesting though; some folks say "great for fixed wing, but not good for gyrocopters" while others say the exact opposite. Funny how opinions work, eh?

The 3cyl 1.0L Geo engine weighs in at about 155 pounds, quite a bit heavier then comparable Rotax engines, but also has better efficiency, a better torque curve, and is far cheaper! I'm looking forward to seeing how the Elio engine stacks up against that.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I may be one of the talkers, since I know I'm not the only ElioOwner who is also on the Rotary Wing Forum :D

That linked thread is interesting though; some folks say "great for fixed wing, but not good for gyrocopters" while others say the exact opposite. Funny how opinions work, eh?

The 3cyl 1.0L Geo engine weighs in at about 155 pounds, quite a bit heavier then comparable Rotax engines, but also has better efficiency, a better torque curve, and is far cheaper! I'm looking forward to seeing how the Elio engine stacks up against that.

Keep in mind, the "155 pounds" is the complete weight including planetary gear-drive, radiator, alt, etc. IIRC, the "shipping weight" of the Suzuki 1.3L, 4-cyl is right around 105 lbs. I believe the 3-cyl (long block w/no accessories) is around 85 lbs.
Another factor that should play favorably, is something that I remember being said about the IAV motor right after dyno testing...(something like)..."because of the "long-stoke and high compression" this engine makes a surprising amount of torque, very low in the RPM range...we refer to it as our little diesel..."
Would it be possible to add a turbo, and not have to add a planetary gear reduction?...thus, saving weight? just a thought.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The advantages of the IAV designed Elio engine are low cost, high efficiency and small size. Perfect for a 30-35kW portable backup generator
For small values of portable. :D

Seriously, are you thinking of something you could mount on a truck and take to a disaster site? Something to provide emergency power to a hospital or an IT center? As a prepper, I see "portable backup generator" and I think of something in the 5KW range. Clearly, you're thinking of something an order of magnitude more powerful.

And I agree: within 5 years we'll see a whole slew of Smart Fortwo knockoffs clogging European cities and maybe Chinese cities. Maybe Tata in India would be interested in putting it in their next series of deathtraps (sorry, "family sedans").

P.S. I still think there's a market out there for high-efficiency high-MPG motorcycles.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
<snipped>
P.S. I still think there's a market out there for high-efficiency high-MPG motorcycles.

I don't think the Elio engine revs quick enough for a bike; it is long stroke and that doesn't lend it's self to quick revs.
Maybe something like a little mail truck/3-wheel scooter, or parking enforcement; Ice cream etc.
But at liter size it couldn't keep up with anything else already in that range for a 2-wheeler

Reactions: Ekh
Top Bottom