• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Honda Fcv

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The key point is that it's a positive to have a variety of alternative energy vehicle options and not be reliant on just one. I support them all. It's good for all consumers in keeping energy/fuel prices in check. Those that can afford to buy Honda's Fcv or Toyota's new Mira Hydrogen fuel cell concepts or EVs, simply provides for a larger USA supply of gas or diesel fuel for our high mpg ICE driven vehicles. Nice to have a choice.

satx

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"consumers in keeping energy/fuel prices in check"

consumers have almost nothing to do with the the GLOBAL price of oil. Look at how gasoline prices have risen while the US and global oil markets remains glutted. BigOil, and oil traders, set the prices, not consumers.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"consumers in keeping energy/fuel prices in check"

consumers have almost nothing to do with the the GLOBAL price of oil. Look at how gasoline prices have risen while the US and global oil markets remains glutted. BigOil, and oil traders, set the prices, not consumers.
I should have said alternative fuels reduce the dependency on foreign oil. The top 1% set the prices on everything and they are still trying for a greater share of the wealth. Consumers still have to be able to afford to buy it or corporate America has nothing to sell the other 99% and the average CEO wages drop from $37,000 per day to a level that barely allows them to make a living.

satx

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to Elio Owners; the home of wandering threads ...........

There's FUD about hydrogen in FCVs being explosive, even compressed air has FUD around it, but compressed propane and butane in on highways, etc. yawn.

And ask Hollywood how wonderfully inflammable and explosive plain old gasoline is.

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's FUD about hydrogen in FCVs being explosive, even compressed air has FUD around it, but compressed propane and butane in on highways, etc. yawn.

And ask Hollywood how wonderfully inflammable and explosive plain old gasoline is.

I found this site on hydrogen fire versus gasoline fire. 40 Fires.
Hydrogen_Test.png

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there is a safe enough way to transport hydrogen, even if all the kinks haven't been worked out yet. And building infrastructure and everything is just more minor minutiae to figure out. I still have the question that I find ACTUALLY relevant, and that is: WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR???
What problem is it made to solve, and does it actually accomplish that? It's new! It's exciting! It's expensive! La-De-Da! What's it good for??
It takes energy to produce hydrogen. There is no natural source of it, therefore it is merely a means of STORING energy. As such, is it a net gain or a net loss? Obviously we could have just burned the stuff in an ICE DECADES ago, but we didn't. Why not? That tells me it would be less efficient and cost-effective than EVERY other form of fuel that we DO use. Yes it was used in space and such where EVERY other means of generating enough electricity would simply not work. That speaks volumes too. Now we have a terresterial model almost ready, and the idea is that by using it in a fuel cell, hydrogen is efficient enough to make sense. Does it? Where are the numbers?
Anyone actually WANT to pay $50k for a hydrogen powered Accord? Why? I want a car with a jet-turbine engine. Does it solve any probelms, other than my desire to go REALLY FAST? NO! It's a complete impracticality from every perspective. It would be just a TOY. Someone MIGHT be dupped into thinking that a hydrogen powered car is 'greener', but that's only because they are FAR removed from the production process of hydrogen. And cars.

Top Bottom