• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Honda Fcv

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Somehow I'm thinking it won't sell for $8000.
Hydrogen: a more efficient way to burn fossil fuels. Not an answer, but maybe another 'bridge' technology.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
They've had Hydrogen fuel cells around for some time now; the emission byproduct is water.
The problem is public acceptance of Hydrogen gas stations.
People hear Hydrogen and think Hindenburg. They figure the stations or the cars would explode if there was a lightening storm of if the car was in a crash. What caused the greatest damage with the Hindenburg was the paint it was covered in.

But most of the generations that think that way are getting older or they're already gone; this is why companies are trying to make Hydrogen more acceptable again, plus they have advanced the technology.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They've had Hydrogen fuel cells around for some time now; the emission byproduct is water.
People hear Hydrogen and think Hindenburg. They figure the stations or the cars would explode if there was a lightening storm of if the car was in a crash. What caused the greatest damage with the Hindenburg was the paint it was covered in.

But most of the generations that think that way are getting older or they're already gone; this is why companies are trying to make Hydrogen more acceptable again, plus they have advanced the technology.
Sure fuel cells have been around for some time, and in all this time they have never been able to produce a LOT of power in a compact enough package. They're getting there. Problem is hydrogen don't grow on trees. If you plan to get it through electrolosis you might as well just use the electricity to charge batteries. Best source is breaking apart hydrocarbons which produces..... Our old friend CO2! So it just ends up being a more efficient way to burn fossil fuels. How much more? Good question.
And I have a hard time getting all excited over another $50,000 econo car. I won't own one any time soon. I don't make that kind of money, and even if I did how do you justify that logically?
Why are the geniuses in charge always trying to save the planet by building a better econo car anyway? Is that really our main problem? All the heavy trucks, light trucks, SUVs, and minivans are no problem? We really need to go after those horrible econo cars? Becuse I really do not see lines of people trading in their Escalades for a new Prius. Or a new $50,000 hydrogen powered Accord.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Might not be such a good solution in California.
Didn't I hear Governor Moonbeam was coming up with $5000 water use fines?
Maybe not the best time to start using water instead of gas.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Let's look at that water "emission byproduct" thing.............

..........."Water Vapor Confirmed as Major Player in Climate Change"................
http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/vapor_warming.html

Not to mention the energy it takes to produce "Hydrogen Fuel".

Hmmmmmm!

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Might not be such a good solution in California.
Didn't I hear Governor Moonbeam was coming up with $5000 water use fines?
Maybe not the best time to start using water instead of gas.
One can get hydrogen from water, but you have to use hydrolysis, which means using electricity to break apart the hydrogen and oxygen. Then you put the hydrogen into a fuel cell and combine it with oxygen to get electricity with water as a byproduct. You end up in the end with less power than it took to break apart the water molecules in the first place, so you might as well just put the electricity in a battery and use it directly. Unless you justify the practical inefficiency with the additional range potential of hydrogen fuel vs batteries. Either way, I doubt any savings, be it financial or environmental, will way even come CLOSE to justifying what they're going to want for such a thing.

satx

Elio Addict
Reaction score
10Ks of trucks transport butane, propane to rural areas, and tranport "bombs" of gas to retail outlets.

Stores stock and RVs carry "bombs" of explosive gas up and down millions of highway miles every year.

Any of those vendors or users thinking "Hindenburg"? LOL

There's lots of research, much of it govt research (to be given mostly free to private sector), now on every aspect of fuel cells.

My bet is there will be one or more transformative breakthroughs, and it loks like all the big auto mfrs are betting on FCVs, also.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
10Ks of trucks transport butane, propane to rural areas, and tranport "bombs" of gas to retail outlets.
Stores stock and RVs carry "bombs" of explosive gas up and down millions of highway miles every year.
There's lots of research, much of it govt research (to be given mostly free to private sector), now on every aspect of fuel cells.
My bet is there will be one or more transformative breakthroughs, and it loks like all the big auto mfrs are betting on FCVs, also.

When people see Propane they probably relate it to BBQ fuel; that safe white tank that can sit out in the weather year round.
I've heard the Hindenburg comparison a number of times in articles about fuel cells, and shows that get into alternative fuel sources.

And the people I'm referring to are, "sheeple" that make up most of the public.

The vendors are probably wondering how the EPA & OSHA are going to come up with more hoops for them to jump through.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How did this switch from Hydrogen Fuel Cells to Propane and Butane?

When people see Propane they probably relate it to BBQ fuel; that safe white tank that can sit out in the weather year round.
I've heard the Hindenburg comparison a number of times in articles about fuel cells, and shows that get into alternative fuel sources.

And the people I'm referring to are, "sheeple" that make up most of the public.

The vendors are probably wondering how the EPA & OSHA are going to come up with more hoops for them to jump through.

Hydrogen is a whole different critter than propane or butane!

Top Bottom