• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Help!!! Stripped Spark Plug Hole Helicoil Not Working..

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My Sunfire had a Helicoil for one Spark plug ... the old coil came out, not the replacement drops too far into the head causing the plug to get bent.

????

Thanks,

Ian

2.2L Ecotec 4 cylinder engine

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've had good luck using "timesert" spark plug repairs. Since your engine has already had a helicoil repair you will probably need the oversized version called a "bigsert". Timeserts are hardened steel bushings threaded inside and out with a flange on top to keep it from threading too far into the head. The inserts only cost a few dollars if you can find someone to install it for you or loan you the drill and tap you can do it yourself.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you end up having to take this to someone, you will probably have better luck if you find an "old timer". These were common repairs in the past. Todays young mechanics don't know these old tricks-of-the-trade. Many of them only know replacing parts.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ian --- Sorry i took so long to get back to you. Had some family stuff to do. You can buy the inserts at Amazon. Buying the tooling probably wouldn't be cost effective. If i recall the tooling is about $450, Some auto parts stores will loan or rent tools. Might call around and try to get the tools lined up. If you can locate the tools it's not hard to do. I have installed timeserts without removing the head. Just pack cylinder with cotton clothes line, vacuum out the metal debris when you're done and fish out the clothes line. Install the timesert and sparkplug and you're done.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

Gizmo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you end up having to take this to someone, you will probably have better luck if you find an "old timer". These were common repairs in the past. Todays young mechanics don't know these old tricks-of-the-trade. Many of them only know replacing parts.

The same in the IT world. R&R philosophy/training. Wouldn't know how to solder anything or even replace a broken embedded signal path on a board.

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks... the kits are $80 to $400 depending what you need. trying to figure out the plug size.

I peeked at these before. :) thank you for the responses. I'll keep you posted.

I am stuck driving the van for now. meh.

Top Bottom