• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Helmet Laws, Etc.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I haven't heard of a law that requires that... In fact, I've been told that motorcycles can park in the stripped lines at the end of parking rows (if they are even there). I'm sure the Elio won't be doing that as it's too wide and long.
California requires it.

Correction. That's "The People's Republic of California".

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Police are often not familiar with obscure laws that are rarely enforce. Helmet laws for autocycles probably fall within this category. When traveling across country and passing through several states, police may see it is classified as a motorcycle and give tickets for not having a helmet, being unfamiliar with the new and never enforced law about autocycles and helmets.

It may be nice if EM provided with the Elio, information on each state, citing its statute about helmets and autocycles. These can be explained to the police about to give a ticket for no helmet. The problem is, how do you explain this to the police without offending him/her.

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Police are often not familiar with obscure laws that are rarely enforce. Helmet laws for autocycles probably fall within this category. When traveling across country and passing through several states, police may see it is classified as a motorcycle and give tickets for not having a helmet, being unfamiliar with the new and never enforced law about autocycles and helmets.

It may be nice if EM provided with the Elio, information on each state, citing its statute about helmets and autocycles. These can be explained to the police about to give a ticket for no helmet. The problem is, how do you explain this to the police without offending him/her.

I'd be willing to bet that a cop, watching one of our three wheelers pass through his state, would see an enclosed vehicle and not even bother. After all, in this day and age, they rarely bother with red light runners and the "left turn on red" crowd... :dispirited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If a state does not have the classification of "autocycle" and considers the Elio as a motorcycle, does that mean people can take the motorcycle riding test in an Elio? After all, it is recognized as a motorcycle by that state and who is the department of motor vehicles (DMV) of that state to say otherwise?

Interesting. Some people would like this. I would like to see the expression on the faces of the DMV personal.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Elio can't be considered a motorcycle as it is currently designed. It needs a headlight mounted in the center for one thing.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If a state does not have the classification of "autocycle" and considers the Elio as a motorcycle, does that mean people can take the motorcycle riding test in an Elio? After all, it is recognized as a motorcycle by that state and who is the department of motor vehicles (DMV) of that state to say otherwise?

Interesting. Some people would like this. I would like to see the expression on the faces of the DMV personal.
It would never make a figure 8 in that little box...

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agreed, if some larger cruisers have a tough time with the test then no way with something with a car's footprint would pass. So someone can try but the joke is on them.
If you could make that rear wheel pivot when needed. It is locked forward during normal driving but then in parking lot mode, steering is done solely by the torque to the front two wheels while the back wheel castors. You could spin around on a dime. Actually... Hmm...

Top Bottom