• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Head To Head Comparison!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Vehicle styling is a personal preference, you either like it or not, buy it or not. A renowned auto designer is responsible for the Solo's styling and race car enthusiasts are responsible for the Solo's engineering and drive train. That's the perfect design and engineering team to develop a personal commuter for the masses. The Solo's styling is fine tuned and aerodynamic.

The Solo looks like somebody cut the back end off because the designer did cut it off with precision to become an aerodynamic masterpiece for a single driver. The Solo Twinn appears to stretch nicely for that second passenger. The Solo and Solo Twinn have the potential to be as popular as the VW Beetle, as does the Elio, as does the SRK once they finally get to market and prove their market acceptance by the driving public.

To my critical eye, the Solo looks like a Sports Model Autocycle. A cross between a VW Beetle, a Porsche, and a Harley Davidson Trike or a ménage-a-trois.

image.jpeg

ThreeWheelBurnin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The charging times on the Solo look suspect to me. It has a 16.1kWh battery, just like my 2013 Volt, and EM claims 6 hours to charge it at 110V. As a Volt owner, charging at 12A on a 110V circuit takes 12 hours or more from empty, and the Volt doesn't charge the full 16.1kWh. It's more like 10-12kWh. It takes about 16-18 hours at 8A. The 6 hours at 110V claim sounds like they're charging at 30A. I'm no electrician, but I don't think most household 110V sockets can handle that sort of amperage. My sockets have 20A breakers on them, and I'd guess the wiring/socket is probably rated for 15-20A.

Now, the 240V numbers seem reasonable, though. The 240V charging on the Volt is limited to a paltry 3.3kW, and it takes about 4 hours. If EM bumped that charge rate a bit higher, 3 hours is reasonable.

Jeff H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not me, work commute alone is 45/day. I like the idea of topping off my 8 gallon tank every two weeks.
I don't like my fuel gauge to get down to far past a quarter most times and half a tank in the blizzard season.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Top Bottom