• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Front Wing?

Autoxdriver

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
In one of the other threads we were discussing the aerodynamics of the front wheels and a reference was made to some drag figures from formula race cars. One of the articles I read shows how they alleviate the drag of the exposed front wheels, at least to some extent. They use tabs on the front wing to direct the air away from the front of the tire. In the case of formula cars they direct the air to the space between the tire and the body because I believe they need that air for brake and engine cooling, but in the case of the Elio I would use the tabs to direct the air to the outside, away from the suspension components and axle. This would be as an alternative to the current wheel shrouds.

front%2520wing.PNG

A front wing generates drag itself, but it allows the management of air around the entire vehicle, done correctly it could make a significant overall reduction in drag when used with conventional open fenders. I'm not sure how it would compare to the shrouds, but the wing could also be used to direct air over (or under, or both) the suspension components and axle which currently are not protected from the wind at all with the shrouds.

I don't in any way expect this to be seriously considered by the Elio team or even most people. IMO most would not like that kind of a look, but I could see it as an aftermarket "body kit" for those with more of a sporty mindset. Anyone else think there are people out there that would like the look, as an alternative to the shrouds if it was functional?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In one of the other threads we were discussing the aerodynamics of the front wheels and a reference was made to some drag figures from formula race cars. One of the articles I read shows how they alleviate the drag of the exposed front wheels, at least to some extent. They use tabs on the front wing to direct the air away from the front of the tire. In the case of formula cars they direct the air to the space between the tire and the body because I believe they need that air for brake and engine cooling, but in the case of the Elio I would use the tabs to direct the air to the outside, away from the suspension components and axle. This would be as an alternative to the current wheel shrouds.

front%2520wing.PNG

A front wing generates drag itself, but it allows the management of air around the entire vehicle, done correctly it could make a significant overall reduction in drag when used with conventional open fenders. I'm not sure how it would compare to the shrouds, but the wing could also be used to direct air over (or under, or both) the suspension components and axle which currently are not protected from the wind at all with the shrouds.

I don't in any way expect this to be seriously considered by the Elio team or even most people. IMO most would not like that kind of a look, but I could see it as an aftermarket "body kit" for those with more of a sporty mindset. Anyone else think there are people out there that would like the look, as an alternative to the shrouds if it was functional?
Personally I like the shrouds but this is certainly interesting information. I can see some of the guys (if you will excuse the sexist tone of that) liking it. I'll be watching the responses to see if I am right. LOL :-) Z

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I could see a performance minded version done in the aftermarket. Only problem is that it would be hard on approach angles. I drove a 2000 Cobra R once with front spoiler installed very much a pain in the butt for normal driving.

A Martini livery Elio keeps popping into my head. I will most likely get Creamsicle so only livery I can think of with that is the Gulf Livery

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I really did not need to see these ideas. My brain is now going into overdrive trying to envision the Elio with various front and rear wings and all kinds of classic F1 liveries.

Top Bottom