• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

For The Dog Lovers Here

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of Jeeps, that reminded me of a trip out to Maine and back that my wife and I took with our old guy, Toby.

Everything was cool on the way out. The Tobster would look out the window a bit, and then he would curl up on the seat and snooze, only getting up if the car slowed down. We made it from Illinois to Maine like this, and all was good.

On the way home, this took a funny turn. Toby kept getting up, and looking at traffic. Mostly, he'd lay back down again. However, if he spotted a Jeep, the show started. As the Jeep gained on us, the growling started. As the Jeep got closer, the growling got louder... As the Jeep passed us, he'd go completely bonkers, barking, snarling and carrying on until it was well past us. Then, he'd lay down with a self satisfied sigh, nap a few minutes, and start the "patrol" over again.

He did this all the way back home, and then never did it again after that trip. Go figure!

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The first 'long' trip we went on was to Colorado. Every other time he got in the Jeep, it was bad news...off to the Vets! I didn't think he was going to survive the first 45 minutes [shaking and the most pitiful whining I've ever heard come out of him]. After we hit a few rest stops along I-70 he got the idea that he was going to get to walk around and smell dogs from all over the country! By the time we got to Hays, KS, he was actually digging it, and eventually became the pug you see on the suit case. Now if you open the Jeep door around him he jumps right it, tail wagging....LET'S GO!!

We referred to those interstate rest stops fo the dog as "Checking his p-mail"...

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Taking my g/f's mom to their lake house for a holiday weekend, their family's miniature black poodle, Cricket, took up residence in the middle of my Suburban's big bench seat and settled in for a long ride.

About two hours out of town, she jumped up and began pacing the seat. Mom said they usually stopped a mile or two ahead to let Cricket out for a walk, and sure enough, with accuracy that would rival any GPS today, the animal began to bark as we got within a block of a park in the little town we were passing through.

She was too small to see out the windows, so I've always thought there was something unique to the scent, or series of scents she was processing.

After making her rounds and a contribution to the local "guestbook" she hopped back in the truck and curled up in her spot, ready to drive on.

Last edited:

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Our Penelope, Chinese Shar-Pei about a year and a half old now.
image.jpeg

Elf

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Saddest day of my life when I had to put our dog Lizzie down Saturday .Once in a lifetime do you have that special dog that you really bond with .Four years ago my wife had three debilitating strokes and the dog would not leave her side .Helped my wife go up and down stars and stabilize her when she walked .Lizzie would wine if she sensed anything wrong and saved Nancy's life once .As my wife Nancy got better lizzie would run to meet me when I got home and would actually watch a football game or a NASCAR race as long as my wife was near .

Lizzie was about 11 years old but had a rough life .As a pup she got run over and had three legs virtually destroyed .A young vet saw something that inspired him to reconstruct her ..Along with the vet's 7 year old daughter they nursed her back to health which took a year .We got her from the shelter where she was being socializing with other dogs .We were told that she was a boxer mix so we brought her home to meet the family .My wife was shocked when people would referred to her as a pit bull .DNA tests showed she was Massif and rototiller which was surprising because she was small for a big dog .Her max weight full grown was 72 pounds but very muscular .Gentle as they come ,a stranger could take food out of her mouth and kids could turn her wrong side out .She finished last twice in obedience school and very head strong for her first few years .
Her hobbies were to rescue frogs in the swimming pool as she thought they were going to drown .Birds that would hit the window and knock themselves out would be gently brought into the house for us to fix ,One of her favorite pass times was to watch Nancy fill the bird feeders and plant flowers only to come home and find Lizzie sleeping in a flower pot .She also would scare off the Blue Jays and large birds to allow the little birds to eat .
Lizzie developed Kidney and liver failure loosing 20 pounds in six weeks . Our veterinarian who knew and liked Lizzie a lot said that she would only have a few days. We would know it was time when her lethal tail stopped wagging and she stopped eating . Knowing the end was near we bought quarter ponders by the bucket full plus Ben and Jerrys ice cream (peanut butter) We tried everything to save her but she was crying out in pain which she had never done in her life .She couldn't climb the stairs or get into the car
The Vet had to leave the room she and her assistant were crying so hard .when we put her to sleep .That was so peaceful and she went quickly without discomfort .

Lizzie was buried buried in a special raised plot where she can continue looking after us .I love you so much Lizzie and will always be part of my life till I join you Thank you so much .

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anyone who's lost a beloved pet knows the loss you feel, Elf; our furbabies are so much a part of our families. We lost Sissy, aka, the Maltese Furball, just over a year ago and we're still brokenhearted. Someday we'll rescue another, but for now we have many years of wonderful memories. Once in a while my wife or daughter claim to have seen her staring at us from her favorite perch on the sofa, while I think I've seen her peering into the kitchen to see what was for dinner.

Top Bottom