• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ev Pollution And Ozone

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Huh? I woke up to a news article this morning about the EPA and conservationists arguing about a new ozone level being set too low for what the conservationists wanted (70 something units instead of 60 when it is currently at 75).

So I start to think about ozone and remember that electric motors are a source of ozone generation. I then start doing some quick web searching for EVs and ozone and yup, lots of hype out there about how they do create ozone and if EV use increases they will become a significant contributor to ozone pollution. Ozone leads to health issues particularly with respect to breathing.

I have always felt that people looking at the tail pipe emissions of an EV being 0 was not representative of the emissions generated from the creation of the energy that goes into charging the EV. However, with the realization that EVs do produce ozone and that ozone is quickly becoming a significant pollutant it really begs the question of exactly how much will EVs address pollution issues.

Top Bottom