• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Enthusiastic But... Fine Print

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to be so blunt here, but what did you honestly expect? A car tomorrow?
There are some who call the all-in crowd overly optimistic, dreamers, stupid. The way I see it the exact opposite is true. I would bet 99% of $1000 all in-ers know exactly what they 'bought': a place in line for a dream, a t-shirt, and a bumper sticker. That is all and we are happy for it. It's the dolts who saw a pretty color and a cool shape and threw money down who appear honestly stupid and naive: No research, no realistic expectations. It's sad too because they'll talk it down, discouraging others who may not really understand the entirety of this project.
Next time you 'buy' something, read everything. Know exactly what you are buying. It is not Elios fault your expectations are not being met, you had unreasonable expectations.
Just some friendly advice.

I researched the Elio for 6 months before I deposited money on it. I realize how long it takes to develop a car as I followed Tesla since they first put out their roadster. I bet on production starting in the first quarter of 2015 and hopefully it still does but the fact that the prototype at Bike Week they are showing doesn't even have the correct engine worries me. I am still hopeful and happy that I put a non-refundable down as I know it is a gamble. I wouldn't be here if I didn't want one but the pushed back production dates still worry me...... They are a startup so I'm not putting all of my hopes and dreams on it if it does not become a reality. I have faith, but am being realistic. I've watched many new automakers with revolutionary products not do well. I want Elio to be the exception

Reaction score
Ouch! That hurts someone who is low income and could only go in at "$100 All in" which actually places us at level 4 not at the back of the line or level 8. :)
Relax Z, it's all good. I got one $1000,00 all in and one $100.00 non-refundable. I am counting one the second to come in very late in the year, so I can have the cash money for it and the first. I believe both investments are safe. I am so exited.

bird

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Between 2008 and 2009 I lost 100 thousand dollars in my 401K retirement fund. I worked 4 more years to make sure it came back up before I retired last year. I feel many, many times more confident I will be driving my Elio in 2015 then I did then about the stock market. These few months until next year is just a walk in the park to me. That's my 2 cents.

R80RTWoody

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Ouch! That hurts someone who is low income and could only go in at "$100 All in" which actually places us at level 4 not at the back of the line or level 8. :)
I agree with the level 4 position in the "pecking order"! Actually, I appreciate all the "All In"s above my $100. as they will be the manufacturing process and product "debuggers" as well as the "quality control" check vehicles. I (we?) thank you in advance.

DScott

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was on the website looking at making my "all in" reservation & read the fine print. The money is an investment in the company. The fine print says it doesn't guarantee a car or a price. I guess one has to be a bit of a speculator on this. I am less concerned that the car will be produced but what my final purchase price will be.
From the reservation agreement:
"2. Nature of Agreement; Non-Binding Reservation Payment
The Reservation Payment is NON-REFUNDABLE and provides you with the benefits in Section 4 below depending on the level of your payment. This Agreement does not constitute an agreement for the sale of a vehicle and does not lock in pricing, a production slot, or an estimated delivery date. You are under no obligation to purchase a vehicle from us, and we are under no obligation to supply you with a vehicle. If and when we notify you of the availability of the vehicle and you wish to proceed with the purchase, such sale and purchase will be governed by a separate and legally binding Purchase Agreement between you and us or between you and another authorized dealer (Elio). In the event a purchase is made, your Reservation Payment plus a bonus equal to 50% of the payment will be credited against the purchase price."
That's a lot of legalese, it's pretty much standard for anything today.. look at your cable/electric/ phone contracts , they all same the same thing: you have an obligation to pay us for the service, but we are not obligated to render the service, we are under no obligation should we fail or if our failure causes you any damage.....blah blah blah... lawyers, it's all their fault!

DScott

Elio Addict
Reaction score
MATH IS HARD! But, any how, our money is tiny compared with the 47 million dollars Elio reported raised from State and Local. Our money down is jut to show the deep pockets our interest. Well, WE ARE INTERESTED AND SHORT POCKET INVESTED.
I'm VERY interested but my pockets are practically empty. why else would I be looking at a "car " for $6800, and cheap to run?
Seriously, once these Elio's are out on the streets they will sell themselves.. I'm willing to have advertising painted on the side of mine if it will get me a price break (discount on repairs, tax break, free gas ??)

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What I glean from that statement is there is no guarantee the car will be built and no guarantee on the final price. You have no legal obligation to buy the vehicle however you will forfeit the all in amount you placed on the vehicle in the event you do not want it. The purchase and sales agreement will be between you and Elio with the 50% of the deposit applied at time of purchase (basically 150% of the all in amount you placed on the vehicle).

I wouldn't be surprised if the Elio does gets manufactured that it will cost more than $6,800.00.. Thinking $7500 to $8000 might happen though.. While $6800 sounds attractive it might not be realistic.. Keep in mind this number gets people's attention and could be why they used it..

My 16 yr. old daughter loves the Elio and she used it for some school project .. This might be the trickle down advertizing for zero dollars that Elio is relying on.. If they start advertizing this will consume much of our all in money.. Perhaps if enough interest is generated the talk show circuit would provide a good avenue for free advertizing..

Another thought is perhaps Elio is hoping a larger company with deep pockets snaps up Elio and creates this vehicle. Once again this all hinges on the public's perception of value offered.. If the interest is strong and money can be made rest assured this will happen..

The almighty dollar will dictate what happens from here on out..

My 2 cents,

Ray

Reaction score
I'm VERY interested but my pockets are practically empty. why else would I be looking at a "car " for $6800, and cheap to run?
Seriously, once these Elio's are out on the streets they will sell themselves.. I'm willing to have advertising painted on the side of mine if it will get me a price break (discount on repairs, tax break, free gas ??)
DScott, I understand. Your looking to buy a brand new vehicle for used-car money. Consider the 'car' insurance savings, the fuel savings AND the repair / maintenance savings, this was a 'no-brainer' for me. I admit, I 'fell into some money' back in October and that is how I afforded to put down a thousand bucks on my first reservation. It wasn't enough to replace the windows in my house, that needs to be done or even to buy another used car. I gambled. And I gambled again placing a second order. I am saving nickels and dimes here, to get as much money by March next year for my big purchase. I am obsessed with this vehicle and want them so badly. I had faith enough after a lot of research and thought to put it all on the line. I will be so happy and set getting them in my drive. Now, just because I have faith, I never stop praying for the elio team and Mr. Elio. So Mote it Be.

Top Bottom