• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Engine Block Heater

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
. . . Result was the antidepressants already warm so when you turn on the defrost, it work's now. On my truck, Ford put what amounts to a huge hair dryer element in the ductwork so even if I can't plug in my truck, it takes about 15 seconds to start blowing out warm air. Yeah, I'm belittle spoiled. If I remote start it when it is cold, it turns on the defrost, interior heat (and the instant heat element if it is colder out), mirror heaters, rear window defroster, steering wheel heat, and 4 seat heaters. The person in the middle back seat is out of luck. It does this if it is below 72. If it's above 72, it turns on the AC and the cooled front seats.
My Elio will probably sit in a garage but it will be outside all day while I'm at work and I'm sure I'll miss my truck every afternoon at least till my Elio warms up.
Happiness is a warm antidepressant. (Dang auto-correct!) :D

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have to take something back: I HAD heard of something else used to warm up your car engine. Back in the days of the Model T and Model A cars, some drivers would put a small oil lamp under the engine. Care had to be taken as it occasionally happened that the lamp would flare up and the car would catch on fire.
The main characters (two brothers) in the movie "Mountain Men" built a "small" fire under their old pick-up...
To "Thaw the frozen battery" (got news... if the battery is indeed frozen, it ain't gonna ever hold a charge again)...
They not only fried the truck but also burnt their adjacent (remote w' no cell service) mountain cabin down.

I watched it Wednesday. It's currently featured on netflix.

Last edited:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seems like in Denver we'd get at least one week where the temp never got above 0F. It's not usually cold enough there to warrant block heaters of any type, but 0F for a week or so caused a lot of cars to be a little reluctant to start. I did notice the poor man's solution, shop type drop light with a 60W incandescent bulb hung on the engine overnight. Just enough heat to keep it from freezing even it wouldn't be "warm" in the morning.

Looked kind of funny seeing all the splashes of light underneath cars all around the neighborhood. But it did work.
I used to use one of those infrared flood lamp bulbs they used to use to keep food hot. Used a spring clamp to hang it from a cross member in the hood, and it worked like a champ.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Head bolt heaters... I've never used or seen one but I have installed several block heaters that basically replace a freeze plug with the little heater element. It heats up the antifreeze and, being low on the engine, tended to keep the oil warm as well. Result was the antidepressants already warm so when you turn on the defrost, it work's now. On my truck, Ford put what amounts to a huge hair dryer element in the ductwork so even if I can't plug in my truck, it takes about 15 seconds to start blowing out warm air. Yeah, I'm belittle spoiled. If I remote start it when it is cold, it turns on the defrost, interior heat (and the instant heat element if it is colder out), mirror heaters, rear window defroster, steering wheel heat, and 4 seat heaters. The person in the middle back seat is out of luck. It does this if it is below 72. If it's above 72, it turns on the AC and the cooled front seats.
My Elio will probably sit in a garage but it will be outside all day while I'm at work and I'm sure I'll miss my truck every afternoon at least till my Elio warms up.
So buy the electrically heated seat option and remote start the car from your Skyzmatic! You can even mount a hair dryer from the rear seat roof if you're that desperate!

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seems like in Denver we'd get at least one week where the temp never got above 0F. It's not usually cold enough there to warrant block heaters of any type, but 0F for a week or so caused a lot of cars to be a little reluctant to start. I did notice the poor man's solution, shop type drop light with a 60W incandescent bulb hung on the engine overnight. Just enough heat to keep it from freezing even it wouldn't be "warm" in the morning.

Looked kind of funny seeing all the splashes of light underneath cars all around the neighborhood. But it did work.

That works but if there is snow up under the hood and it melts and drips down on the bulb it quits working real fast

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I sure hope the Elio Motor Engine incorporates a Frost Plug where a Block Heater can be installed for us Elio Owners or to be Elio Owners that live in the Northern Parts of the Continental USA and of course Alaska and Canada.

I am very surprised that Photos of the new Elio Engine have not been released and posted on this Forum yet.

Hint, hint....... can someone please post some Photos or the New Engine?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I sure hope the Elio Motor Engine incorporates a Frost Plug where a Block Heater can be installed for us Elio Owners or to be Elio Owners that live in the Northern Parts of the Continental USA and of course Alaska and Canada.

I am very surprised that Photos of the new Elio Engine have not been released and posted on this Forum yet.

Hint, hint....... can someone please post some Photos or the New Engine?
Just do a Search, there are a lot of pictures of it on here.
The Search Engine on this site is great; if you don't find it at first, change your question a little.

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just do a Search, there are a lot of pictures of it on here.
The Search Engine on this site is great; if you don't find it at first, change your question a little.

Thank you Coss but I did do a Search for Engine then Engine Block Heater then Engine Photos, unfortunately No photos came up. This is why I posted my question in this thread.

Don't get me wrong cause by looking around I have found a lot of information and also realized how informative and dedicated many of the Members here at elioowners.com are and how willing they all are to help out. Koodos to the Members of this Forum.

Is there Section on this Forum where Photos and Video can be posted and viewed directly.

I find this Forum very informative with lots to read but I am having trouble searching for Photos. Would be great if the Admin would consider creating a Section for Photos and Videos and then have Members post the Hyper Link to them or copy them to their Posts.

If their is such a Section, can you please direct me to it.

oops: Just found the Photo and Videos Section. Guess I kept clicking on the New Posts and not the Forum Link. I will spend the next several days looking at Photos and Videos now.

http://www.elioowners.com/forums/elio-photos-and-videos.15/

Last edited:

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember when I stationed at Port Clarence in Alaska (about 60 miles NW of Nome). We had a truck that sat outside all the time it was the Electronic department's quick response vehicle to get to our LORAN transmitter located about 2000ft away. We had a crazy military engine/battery heater that was not on at all times you had to start the heater and then it would slowly heat the battery and engine, when we had temperatures were under about -20 it could take up to an hour for it to work. Not much of a quick response, I would just ride one of the station's bikes through our unheated tunnel it was much quicker to respond to transmitter issues.

bunchathrees

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you Coss but I did do a Search for Engine then Engine Block Heater then Engine Photos, unfortunately No photos came up. This is why I posted my question in this thread.

Don't get me wrong cause by looking around I have found a lot of information and also realized how informative and dedicated many of the Members here at elioowners.com are and how willing they all are to help out. Koodos to the Members of this Forum.

Is there Section on this Forum where Photos and Video can be posted and viewed directly.

I find this Forum very informative with lots to read but I am having trouble searching for Photos. Would be great if the Admin would consider creating a Section for Photos and Videos and then have Members post the Hyper Link to them or copy them to their Posts.

If their is such a Section, can you please direct me to it.

Lots of links back to these forums:

https://www.google.com/search?q=iav...X&ved=0ahUKEwjVosf_tdrNAhUP72MKHbCBDPkQsAQIGw

Top Bottom