• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Energy Department Revives Fuel-efficient Vehicle Loan Program - March 26, 2015 - Wsj.com

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In corporate accounting, "invested" money that is readily convertible to cash is cash.
So yes, they have 2,000,000,000.00 in actual "cash" on hand. Go read their financials.

Of course they are smart for using low-interest taxpayer money to made a big capital investment. They'd be stupid not to use it.

What's stupid is that a loan intended for high-risk investments that advance vehicle technology is instead being used to make a low-risk loan to a highly-profitable mega-corporation that doesn't need it so they can get even richer at the taxpayers' expense.
It's a low interest loan made to a qualifying applicant that has the ability to pay it back. The DOE's venture capital portfolio makes some money on the interest and shows a profit for you the complaining taxpayer.

I wonder if the Elio specs any aluminum components? It's important that the DOE loans the balance of their ATVM Funds before somebody decides to close it down and spend the money on something really stupid.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sadly all that aluminum will not transfer into other Ford products. I was thinking maybe an Aluminum Mustang chassis to finally bring down the weight. I like F150's but i have little use for a truck.
I think it will trickle into other models. The F150 was the easy choice to start with due to it's sheer size. 700# of weight saved per truck I think they're claiming.

BTW, there are high strength steels out there as well that can get similar weight savings. 2-3x the tensile strenght of mild steel means a part that is half to a third as thick will support the same load. Check out CorTen and Domex for examples. I can say from experience that they're more difficult to fabricate with than mild steel. They put a beating on stamping tools and can be hard to form without cracking.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if the Elio specs any aluminum components? It's important that the DOE loans the balance of their ATVM Funds before somebody decides to close it down and spend the money on something really stupid.

The motor comes immediately to mind, although not made of the sheet Al that the $ going to ALCOA is supporting.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Alcoa hasn't finished the loan process yet according to a March 26th update...

March 26, 2015 - 12:01 am ET -- UPDATED: 3/26/2015 10:19 am ET -- corrected
Editor's note: An earlier version of this report mischaracterized the status of the Energy Department’s agreement with Alcoa. The deal is a conditional commitment, and additional steps are required before Alcoa receives the funding.

Top Bottom