• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Emission Laws In Kalifornia

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio is currently considered a motorcycle so it is exempt from smog testing. No PCV valves or catalytic converters necessary. For now.

But you can bet our "friends" in Sacramento will want to put a stop to that. I've heard rumors that they will re-classify autocycles so they must conform with C.A.R.B. emission standards.

My question is, if/when this happens, will existing Elios operating be forced to be retrofit with smog devices, or will they be "grandfathered" and still maintain emissions exempt status?

I live in California. I live in the outskirts of Los Angeles county, in the desert. I am $1000 all in for two Elios.

The federal government classifies the vehicles (federally) and places that designation in the VIN number. While some states may have an autocycle classification, as I understand the federal government does not (yet). The Elios will start coming off the line with a motorcycle classification in its VIN number, and not have to be smog tested in California.

I believe as the number of Elios become numerous on the road, California will push for the federal designation of autocycle in the VIN number. This will be convenient for California to smog test the Elio. The very thing they want to regulate is officially designated in the VIN number. All they will have to do is pass a simple law saying all autocycles must meet and pass automobile smog tests. I believe the push by California and other states for this will be quick. It makes smog testing as well as helmet and motorcycle license exemption very easy for states to legislate.

I wanted to get my Elios early and avoid this reclassification and avoid smog testing.

There is not guarantee this is what will happen, but I suspect it will.

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
as a Geo Metro owner in the 90's in California the smog test is no big deal. This thing will burn so clean running a hose from a tailpipe in your closed garage to off yourself will take all day. Least that is what the mechanic told me...:p

skychief

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Okay, so worst-case scenario we'll have to get our Elios smogged every other year. No biggie I suppose. But what if they mandate having a license plate on the front of the Elio?

The only space available would be directly in front of the radiator cowl. And a license plate would block 60% of that area. So the engine will overheat.

ElioFrontView2.jpg

Don't laugh. The lawmakers in Sacramento ain't much smarter than a sack of hammers. They might try to pull something like this.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio is currently considered a motorcycle so it is exempt from smog testing. No PCV valves or catalytic converters necessary. For now.

But you can bet our "friends" in Sacramento will want to put a stop to that. I've heard rumors that they will re-classify autocycles so they must conform with C.A.R.B. emission standards.

My question is, if/when this happens, will existing Elios operating be forced to be retrofit with smog devices, or will they be "grandfathered" and still maintain emissions exempt status?
Just treat them like any car or truck that drives across the southern border and ignore them and any deficiencies they bring with them in the name of political correctness.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Total assumption on my part, but I'd say that if the Elio gets close to the 84mpg it's claiming to get, it'll be plenty "green" at the tailpipe to pass any testing CA may require.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, so worst-case scenario we'll have to get our Elios smogged every other year. No biggie I suppose. But what if they mandate having a license plate on the front of the Elio?

The only space available would be directly in front of the radiator cowl. And a license plate would block 60% of that area. So the engine will overheat.

View attachment 10885

Don't laugh. The lawmakers in Sacramento ain't much smarter than a sack of hammers. They might try to pull something like this.
Do any motorcycles carry front plates there?
I think EM said that all states would plate the Elio the same as a motorcycle; one small plate in the rear.

If you do a search of the forum, you'll find the topic of the plate has been covered for some time now.

skychief

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you do a search of the forum, you'll find the topic of the plate has been covered for some time now.

I did an exhaustive (forum) search about a front license plate. There are quite a few posts, but none (i found) discuss the aspect of fouling the air-flow to the radiator. They mostly talk about aesthetics and appearance.

The lawmakers in Sacramento don't take these things into consideration care about engineering impacts of the laws they pass. If advised that a front license plate would obstruct air-flow for cooling on the Elio, their likely response would be "Well, Elio can just relocate the radiator to back of vehicle to restore air-flow".

They're not very bright in Sacramento. That's what I'm trying to impress on the reader.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio will be titled as a motorcycle. There will be no front plate anywhere that a motorcycle is not required to have one. (Isn't that everywhere?)

IIRC in Ohio where a front plate is required on automobiles, there is an exemption for vehicles that have no provision for a front plate. So even if the law were revised to require a front license plate for a "cab-enclosed motorcycle" as it is classified in Ohio, I wouldn't have to use one because the Elio has no attachment point for one. Other state laws are probably similar.

If at some point in the future the laws are modified to require front plates on new sale autocycles, then Elio would have to redesign their front end to incorporate a mounting point for one. However, older vehicles without the mount point would almost certainly be grandfathered.

Top Bottom