• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Stabilty On Highway,wind, Steep Grades, And At70mph.?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The only Obvious design concern to me is the open wheels in icey road conditions. I can't see how there would not be problem with ice formation on the open elements of the front wheels. Perhaps someone can share their experience with trikes in these conditions.

Of course this condition only exists about one a decade where I live.
EM has a video of the P4 in snow, so I'm guessing it's not an issue

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Theoretically it shouldn't be a problem. Three-wheels is inherently more stable than four, and the engine is up front with the two drive wheels. Most of the weight of the vehicle is right at its traction point.
The jury is still out on high side-winds, but EM seems to think it will be more stable than something like a VW Bug. But as Crayze said, the 25 Engineering test vehicles are on their way, and soon we will have all kinds of speed tests, crash tests, MPG tests, and weather tests to sink our teeth into.
The only Obvious design concern to me is the open wheels in icey road conditions. I can't se how there would not be problem with ice formation on the open elements of the front wheels. Perhaps someone can share their experience with trikes in these conditions.

Of course this condition only exists about once a decade where I live.
EM has a video of the P4 in snow, so I'm guessing it's not an issue

The video was too clean for that to have traveled far enough to pick up ice.

Last edited:

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well...
I take my 320 lb. Virago out on the interstate occasionally.
I don't think the 1280 lb. Elio is going to make me think twice.
image.jpeg

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The only Obvious design concern to me is the open wheels in icey road conditions. I can't se how there would not be problem with ice formation on the open elements of the front wheels. Perhaps someone can share their experience with trikes in these conditions.

Of course this condition only exists about once a decade where I live.

The video was too clean for that to have traveled far enough to pick up ice.
The Elio is, and has always been called an "and" vehicle. I know some will use it as a primary, but that is not the intended build purpose.
So if conditions are that bad; leave it at home and take something better suited for conditions.
If it's a situation that you get caught in. pull over and take cover. At that point, either wait till it passes, or camp out, or call for a ride home.
A life is much more important than any vehicle on the road. ;)

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio is, and has always been called an "and" vehicle. I know some will use it as a primary, but that is not the intended build purpose.
So if conditions are that bad; leave it at home and take something better suited for conditions.
If it's a situation that you get caught in. pull over and take cover. At that point, either wait till it passes, or camp out, or call for a ride home.
I whole heartedly agree. I would certainly take my Prius that day.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
image.jpeg

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The only Obvious design concern to me is the open wheels in icey road conditions. I can't see how there would not be problem with ice formation on the open elements of the front wheels. Perhaps someone can share their experience with trikes in these conditions.

Of course this condition only exists about one a decade where I live.
The wheels are no more likely to ice dam than any other similar road clearance vehicle out there. Most cars have their wheels tucked into little fender areas that are mostlyclosed off to keep road noise down. The Elio won't be any different. I've seen many vehicles with ice buildup around their fenders but the wheels always spin free as the friction keeps it melted away.

Last edited:

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The wheels are no more likely to ice dam than any other similar road clearance vehicle out there. Most cars have their wheels tucked into little fender areas that are mostlyclosed off to keep road noise down. The Eliowont be any different. I've seen many vehicles with ice buildup around their fenders but the wheels always spin free as the friction keeps it melted away.

Hose the front and rear suspension and inside all the wheel fairings with this stuff every Fall.

http://www.neverwet.com/anti-icing.php

Sold at Home Depot, problem solved.

Top Bottom