• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio E1c And The 2017 Mercedes-benz S-class S500 Cabriolet

Lawrence G.

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Seems like EM has no control of the add-on market. $2K for garbage. These are American companies that want to put an extra screw turn to the American buyer who wants products Made In America. Aren't these suppliers aware of how large this market can be?
We are being hit with Top Dollar Prices on everything. They too should be deeply involved with getting the ATVM loan and LOWER THEIR PRICES. They are pricing the car out of the market.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio runs into the problem that every startup runs into. They have to pay for all engineering and tooling up front. This is like with software. That industry learned the hard way that you can promise that you will sell X amounts of units and it'll be the next big thing but normally it just doesn't happen that way.

You have to remember where the supplier is at. They work with big existing and established companies. They can spread out the cost of engineering and tooling over a few years and thus, it works out for both parties. It's not uncommon for suppliers to get requests from startups that have the next bug idea (not just in automotive) and want the supplier to absorb the costs of engineering and tooling up front and then pay for it later with the amount of product delivered. As the supplier, that's taking a big risk as opposed to the risk you take with a known customer.

I do the same thing. If you are a startup and have a brilliant idea that should sell millions, I'm all in but as long as I get paid up front for my work. If you can prove that you can pull the whole thing off, then the next round will be different and with more success, it even gets easier for you as a manufacturer. If I just did engineering and planning on startups that think they can become successful, I'd be broke. I've seen great ideas that have literally flopped just because they couldn't market and distribute it properly. Elio could run into this because they might get the car built but can they keep it going over the next 5 years? That's where I have my doubts and I know most suppliers do to.

You have to remember, American, Mexican, European and Asian suppliers are no different. They will go to bat for you when you can prove you have a viable product, until that time, you are stuck with having to fund everything up front and pay a premium.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Uh Oh; legal stuff;
That's what someone else told me when a thread on other legal stuff was posted.
Or if the blacked out Suburban's pull up, out in front of your house, you skipped right to the head of the line and you're in trouble.
Might be time to check those mattress tags.

Bikebrains

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the current president of the United States of America
On the subject of the current President of the United States of America, my humble little thread "Letters From Trump" doesn't have any letters from Trump. How many of us have sent letters to Trump? How many of us are in the situation that I find myself: I sent my Make America Great Again by helping Elio Motors letter on February 20, 2017. I have not even received an automated form letter saying that my letter has been received and will be routed to the correct department. Nothing, nada, zilch. Don't be shy, those of us who have received a letter from Trump please share them with us using the "Letters From Trump" thread.

Last edited:

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually from a viper.. Wai,t isn't Chrysler and MB the same now?
I get so confused.

Nope. Chrysler is owned by FIAT. But if you like the flat bottom steering wheel, here's he one in my Fiat 500 Abarth cabriolet:

07cd15c5501dfecc5ebecc8ae7083e0e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom