• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio And Amateur Radio

Donald R.

Reaction score
Ok, so here's another thing maybe they'll consider.
I have a hobby of Amateur Radio. And like most Amateur Radio operators, I often like to operate from my vehicles. The latest Amateur Radio transceivers are very much smaller than those 10, 20, even 40 years ago, but have 3 things in common.
They need a 12V DC power source, a mounting location, and a good ground/ground plane for the Antenna to transmit and receive properly.

So any thoughts?
I too am a ham operator I was wondering the exact same thing oh by the way my call sign is KC0Jak

ClubJoe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm concerned with what amperage the alternator will be putting out so I can run at least 500 watts. That will be with the rest of the Elio turned on with A/C.

ClubJoe
Sunny Brandon, FL

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back in the vacuum tube days they used to run Motorola radios that would draw 20 Amps on receive in cars with crappy 6 Volt generators. Unless you are an Elmer Extraordinaire and can jaw for 15 minutes without unkeying the mic, you'll be fine. ;)

I'm also guessing it will be easy to upgrade the alternator since it will likely share form factor with those found on other vehicles. Mitsubishi makes compact OEM alternators that will put out 100 Amps.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What I like is that from the video demonstrations of the new engine, it's clear that it will have NO problem driving a 100 Amp alternator!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
What I like is that from the video demonstrations of the new engine, it's clear that it will have NO problem driving a 100 Amp alternator!
Go to a salvage yard and see if they have one from an ambulance; those things could power your house; plus they set them up to run dual alternators.

Top Bottom