• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Driving The Elio?

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I seem to recall reading somewhere the width of the spats is about 9.5 inches so total width would be 76.3. Anyway just a little tip on defensive driving. Do not stay alongside another vehicle. Speed up or slow down so if the traffic does change lanes unexpectedly you're not there. If you're in bumper to bumper keep a close eye on everyone close and be ready for a blast from the horn and maneuver as required. Reflectors and fender lights may help.

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio is the same height as a sedan.
I am more concerned with engine power and wind resistance when attempting to pass another vehicle. A streamlined vehicle such as this needs less power in the engine to accelerate to a safe passing speed compared to a bulk vehicle such as a SUV. Wonder if the automatic will have an overdrive or passing gear?
MK

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Print out a head on picture of an Elio.
Lay another piece of paper on the picture half way up the tires.
Mark center rim to center rim.
Take that space and divide it in sections. The more sections you have, the more accurate your ruler will be.
Divide the total number sections on your ruler into 67.
Now you have the distance between each section line.
Lay your ruler on the body or any thing you wish to measure and count the number of sections and multiply that by the width of one section, put this only works on every third Tuesday.
Or you can do it the easy way and use a ruler marked in mm, divide the mm's into 67 and multiply that answer by the number of mm you have for the width of the body.
Or you can say p#ss on this, it's not worth knowing. :)
I have to say, Craig, I think that is my favorite of all your posts. :p :rolleyes: :) Z

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
The Elio is the same height as a sedan.
I am more concerned with engine power and wind resistance when attempting to pass another vehicle. A streamlined vehicle such as this needs less power in the engine to accelerate to a safe passing speed compared to a bulk vehicle such as a SUV. Wonder if the automatic will have an overdrive or passing gear?
MK
??? Overdrive is actually the last gear & meant for max efficiency at highway speed. If you want good acceleration for passing you should drop DOWN a gear, not go up!

Every automatic I've ever driven allowed you to limit the max gear it can be in - so for passing just drop from D to 3 and go zoom.

Top Bottom