• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Doubts...to Buy Or Not To Buy...

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
evidence of a chop shop in MI with some discarded body pannels in back of a building my uncle estimates is about 400 square feet with one overhead door,

As a retired Machinist, General Building Contractor who has built machine shops and fabrication shops, I would estimate this facility to be closer to 20,000 sf, quite possibly more. The photos show (at least) a large work area, storage, mezzanine, a high end paint booth and office area. A first class fabrication shop.

1-dsc07968.jpg
4-dsc07965.jpg
dsc08134.jpg
photo-19.jpg
photo-20.jpg
img_0931.jpg
img_0861.jpg

Debbie Bruce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a retired Machinist, General Building Contractor who has built machine shops and fabrication shops, I would estimate this facility to be closer to 20,000 sf, quite possibly more. The photos show (at least) a large work area, storage, mezzanine, a high end paint booth and office area. A first class fabrication shop.

View attachment 1093 View attachment 1094 View attachment 1095 View attachment 1096 View attachment 1097 View attachment 1098 View attachment 1099
I seriously doubt 20 , 1000 sq ft possibly. What happens if the one or two fellows working there jump ship ot find other employment? Elio is not putting off production for no other reason than lack of funding. Oh could be another, they don't know what the hell the they are doing. If I owened a geo metro I'm sure I could find someone to cut it in half. Elio says every part can be bought off a parts store shelf. What do you plan on talking about in here in the next two years other than you will be wondering what the next delay date will be. Elio will not build this , maybe someone else will take over.

fred bott

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Debbie your intro shows you joined May 7 and already have posted 78 times.
I don't know what enjoyment you get posting on a site for ELIO supporters, You need to GET A LIFE and go away...WAY AWAY.
Personally, I made the $1000 investment way back, I'm # 775.
If I lose the deposit I am not worried in the least, I have enjoyed the comradely of this group and the expectations of WONDERFUL things in the future.
It will have been worth the $$ to be a part. And MAYBE just MAYBE Paul Elio will make it and prove you totally wrong !

Avards

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Debbie:

I'm "All In @ $100". If Elio makes it, good. If not, I feel for those who have invested a whole lot more in their dream.

Any startup venture is fraught with peril. Most never survive to see the light of day. But this country was built on those with dreams and then went forward. Let's hope that we can return to that way of thinking, and build and market things.

Personally, I give Elio about a 50% chance of getting the thing stood up and running. Further, I give him about a 25% chance of being successful at continued operations. If he's successful, one of the biggies will probably enter the market, and they'll have deeper pockets. No, I won't limit my view of "biggies" to only the auto manufacturers. I think this project will be watched as a potential way to expand their markets by various manufacturers of wheeled transportation devices.

Should Elio fail, I probably will have a rather expensive "T" shirt, and some good memories of following the miscellaneous ramblings of those who chose to follow potential gestation of a dream and make comment.

Calm down, and enjoy the show.

wcr

Debbie Bruce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Debbie:

I'm "All In @ $100". If Elio makes it, good. If not, I feel for those who have invested a whole lot more in their dream.

Any startup venture is fraught with peril. Most never survive to see the light of day. But this country was built on those with dreams and then went forward. Let's hope that we can return to that way of thinking, and build and market things.

Personally, I give Elio about a 50% chance of getting the thing stood up and running. Further, I give him about a 25% chance of being successful at continued operations. If he's successful, one of the biggies will probably enter the market, and they'll have deeper pockets. No, I won't limit my view of "biggies" to only the auto manufacturers. I think this project will be watched as a potential way to expand their markets by various manufacturers of wheeled transportation devices.

Should Elio fail, I probably will have a rather expensive "T" shirt, and some good memories of following the miscellaneous ramblings of those who chose to follow potential gestation of a dream and make comment.

Calm down, and enjoy the show.

wcr
We can only hope Elio gets the heck out and someone who can back their mouth up takes over, who knows they my even honor our 6800 price and keep our deposits on the books as credit. I want the car but don't want to hear any more Elio bs.

Autoxdriver

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
You lost me immediately at "Two made over Geo metros". The prototypes had nothing in common with the Geo Metro except the engine that happened to be the most similar to what will be the production engine. Would you have rather they had been left engineless? Didn't bother to read any more.

Debbie Bruce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You lost me immediately at "Two made over Geo metros". The prototypes had nothing in common with the Geo Metro except the engine that happened to be the most similar to what will be the production engine. Would you have rather they had been left engineless? Didn't bother to read any more.

There was the almost embarrassing Elio prototype that appeared on the streets of New York City last summer - less than a year before production of the real deal was expected to start. The car was akin to a "back yard project" sporting an engine borrowed from a Geo Metro and missing promised items such as power windows and air conditioning. The New York Times’ Jim Motavalii and Benjamin Preston gave it a tough review.
Shortly after, blogger Jo Borras released a damning analysis of Elio Motors' financial forecast, in which he criticized their plan of jumping from zero sales in 2013 to 63,000+ vehicles sold in2014.

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a retired Machinist, General Building Contractor who has built machine shops and fabrication shops, I would estimate this facility to be closer to 20,000 sf, quite possibly more. The photos show (at least) a large work area, storage, mezzanine, a high end paint booth and office area. A first class fabrication shop.]

Love those shots. Always interested in how things are built. That said, the demo vehicles are being outsourced to some professional outfit, are they not? It's hardly fair to assume Elio Motors will have any of this until they move into their GM facilities.

Debbie Bruce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Love those shots. Always interested in how things are built. That said, the demo vehicles are being outsourced to some professional outfit, are they not? It's hardly fair to assume Elio Motors will have any of this until they move into their GM facilities.
look at the pictures on here , professional?..then again the place in Detroit could be just that..

Debbie Bruce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Debbie your intro shows you joined May 7 and already have posted 78 times.
I don't know what enjoyment you get posting on a site for ELIO supporters, You need to GET A LIFE and go away...WAY AWAY.
Personally, I made the $1000 investment way back, I'm # 775.
If I lose the deposit I am not worried in the least, I have enjoyed the comradely of this group and the expectations of WONDERFUL things in the future.
It will have been worth the $$ to be a part. And MAYBE just MAYBE Paul Elio will make it and prove you totally wrong !
That would not hurt my feelings.

Top Bottom