• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Delaying Car Purchase?

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My 2012 Honda CRZ"s lease is up in September. I planned to turn it in and jump right into my Elio when it was done in December of this year. Now I will have to wait till the middle of next year to do so but I don't plan to get into another contract for a vehicle. I will wait and drive my 2000 Land Rover at 12 city and 15 country till the Elio is ready. How ever long it takes!:cool:
MK

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I can see if you own a business and use the car for the company, but why in the world would you lease a car for personal use?
To me leasing a car is just throwing money away; you put a thousand or three down, you make the payments, you can't drive it over x amount of miles, you still have to insure it, and you can't modify it. At the end of the lease you turn it back in and don't have a thing to show for it.
I just don't get why you would want to do that.

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I felt the CRZ hybrid technology just too complicated to purchase and so I leased it. Now I can get out of it free from any maintaniance issues arising. Still your are right. Not the smartest thing I have done. :confused:
MK

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can see if you own a business and use the car for the company, but why in the world would you lease a car for personal use?
To me leasing a car is just throwing money away; you put a thousand or three down, you make the payments, you can't drive it over x amount of miles, you still have to insure it, and you can't modify it. At the end of the lease you turn it back in and don't have a thing to show for it.

Depending upon your habits and such, that may not be a big deal.

I've had my current truck for 7 years. It is still 100% stock. I've made zero modifications. And I drive about 3,000 miles a year so any lease-based limits are not going to affect me one way or the other. Now, I'm the sort of person who drives it until the wheels fall off (I'm in my 40s and I suspect this is the last truck I'll ever own), but if I were more into having a new car I might have to do some math....

Because I don't know what the cost of "ownership" is for a lease, but if it were to turn out to be cheaper than purchasing a new car every few years? Hey, why not? The "limitations" of a lease aren't limitations at all for someone like me.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll be making my decision in August, if another delay is announced I'm giving up and buying a Ford Fiesta, otherwise I'll wait.

Did just that last year. I purchased the fiesta because my car sit s a lot. I take my Bike when ever I can. The Fiesta is a small car but I like it. City traffic it drops to about 32 Mpg but highway I have managed 41 Mpg with it.

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have several friends that lease Hondas. The deal is this: once they get into the lease program, the monthly payments are less than new car payments, and Hondas hold their value so well, they get a new car every three years with no more cash down. So- if you are going to make a car payment anyway, for around $200 a month, you can drive a pretty new Honda Civic all the time. For those of us who drive a car until it rolls over dead, leases seem like a no-go, but for many people, it is a relatively inexpensive way to drive a consistently late-model car, with all the newest safety and economic improvements.

Top Bottom