• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Davie County

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure there will be a crowd. Do you know if people 'All In' get any special treatment?
My experience in Portland, and I was wearing my Elio dress, is the staff will acknowledge you as you move through the line but they very simply don't have time to spend extra time. They are there to answer questions and to help everyone in and out of the Elio. If you are there early enough that you beat the crowd, you might get a little extra time but it is not something you can count on. This is a marketing tour and it is meant to attract new reservation people. We will get our "special attention" time when we are notified of the ride and drive tour next year. That is for reservation people only and will be our opportunity to ride in and drive an Elio. :-) Z

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We will get our "special attention" time when we are notified of the ride and drive tour next year. That is for reservation people only and will be our opportunity to ride in and drive an Elio. :) Z

are you saying that next year folks will not be allowed to drive/ride in an Elio until after they have made a reservation ?

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
are you saying that next year folks will not be allowed to drive/ride in an Elio until after they have made a reservation ?

Jim

This is the official statement from EM on the ride & drive events:

Q: Are test drives available?
Ultimately, yes. We’re planning a series of events close to the delivery of our first vehicle to let our supporters get the Elio feeling. Once we are in full production, you’ll be invited to one of our ride and drives that will be much more comprehensive, fun and informative than a typical “test drive.”

http://www.eliomotors.com/faq-single/

To me that is not exactly clear on the matter however it does appear to lean towards EM supporters getting first shot before full production and others getting nice events after full production. I have seen on Facebook where questions are answered about this that they speak about events for reservation holders so that kind off adds to the feeling that the first events will be for reservation holders but we will see.

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
We have a whole thread for this discussion:

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/ride-and-drive-events-when-production-gets-close.1896/

You can also read my take on these events and how they could be done while allowing special time for reservation holders and also times for the public.
I have been invited to several manufacturers 'driving experiences'. Generally these events are held in large parking lots available at locations such as stadiums and amusement parks. The events involve a number of vehicles being hauled in on trailers along with accompanying tents and/or trailers with sales/product information and people to answer your questions. The events I have been to are typically a mix of invitation only days with full test drives allowing cars to be driven on several different courses demonstrating various capabilities and pushing the vehicles almost to the limit as well as days when the public is invited where the test driving is limited to a short ride around a simple closed course. These events typically span 3-4 days, normally Thursday/Friday-Sunday, with Thursday and Friday being nearly universally limited to those invited to attend and the media for some nice 'free' advertising. Invitees generally confirm their invitation and choose a date and time ahead of the event so as to keep the number of people in each session down to a reasonable amount allowing for plenty of test driving with little or no waiting.

I could definitely see EM doing a similar road show once they are closer to production and have a number of extra vehicles they are able to take on the tour. This kind of event would easily allow EM to recognize reservation holders by inviting them to the closed sessions while providing wider exposure by allowing the general public to come out and look at the vehicles and even line-up to take them for short test drives during the days where the event is open to the public. The only issue I see for some of us early reservation holders is I am not sure when EM will have enough vehicles for these types of events as all the events I have been to have at least a dozen vehicles involved between static sales vehicles and the ones being driven. I can see where it could be very close to production when they are finally able to start running these events.

The Jaguar event I did late last year was the nicest, and most fun, of these events I have ever been to. It was a three day invitation only event and they had entire portable buildings set up along with the entire Jaguar lineup to test drive as much as you wanted. They allowed you to play follow the leader and take the vehicles on a guided drive around the local surface streets and a short jaunt down the interstate. They also had the usual low speed obstacle handling and higher speed autocross courses set up along with a very fun 0-100-0 run in a 550hp F-Type where you pull up to the line, turn on launch control, then just slam the accelerator to the floor and see how fast you can go before the instructor sitting in the passenger seat tells you to slam on the brakes. The course was long enough to allow those of us wiling to follow the instructions to the letter to hit 120+ mph before slamming the brakes as hard as possible and really pushing the carbon ceramic brakes to the limit. :cool::D

I did not take many good photos however I do have some photos of the Jaguar event for those who would like to see it: https://plus.google.com/photos/106497276717069226745/albums/6050759011479677185

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You can also read my take on these events and how they could be done while allowing special time for reservation holders and also times for the public.

for my purposes, all I need is a few minutes in the driver's seat to get a feel for the ride so as to determine what, if any, impact it may have on my back .... I can't see investing a penny without that knowledge

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
for my purposes, all I need is a few minutes in the driver's seat to get a feel for the ride so as to determine what, if any, impact it may have on my back .... I can't see investing a penny without that knowledge

Jim

Even if they are for reservation holders all the events I have been to allow the invitee to bring a friend or friends. When that happens find a 'friend' on here to take you with them. :cool:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even if they are for reservation holders all the events I have been to allow the invitee to bring a friend or friends. When that happens find a 'friend' on here to take you with them. :cool:
And guess where would be a good place to connect to say, hey anyone here want to go to the 'Drive Event' ? :-)

Top Bottom